Talk

Advanced search

Barkers !

(7 Posts)
topsyturner Tue 20-Nov-12 12:34:17

I am allowed to share my home with a pretty lovely GSD .
And the only note of discord (apart from his window nose art) is the amount of barking he likes to do .
As soon as he gets out in the garden he starts , and being conscious of my neighbours I need him to learn its not on !

Does anyone have any tips on ceasing the Call of the Wild ? Or do we just say (as long as its not unsociable hours) let him bark ?

Cuebill Tue 20-Nov-12 16:55:07

Dogs bark for many reasons. If you can work out why he barks then you can usually find the solution.

Is he anxious, bored, guarding, excited, hearing other dogs, hearing sounds he does not understand, lonely, know that he will be left for a while, needs company etc?

I would not let him bark.

Is he left in the garden on his own?

If he likes being in the garden - I would have a long line on him the second he barks say nothing and bring him into the house - let him out when quiet. so he learns barking means no garden.

However that will not work if he is uncomfortable in the garden as he will get want he wants eg to be inside smile

If he wants company only go out when he is quiet etc

You really need to spend time observing why he is barking and then we can hep with a solution

topsyturner Tue 20-Nov-12 16:59:49

His barking is mainly in response to hearing other dogs bark . But those other dogs can only be heard by the human ear very faintly !

I did use a long line with him for quite a while , might try that again .
As you say , I don't want him thinking "ooh this barking lark works - I bark , she comes out"

Sigh , it is like having another child !

Cuebill Tue 20-Nov-12 18:04:31

lol easier than children smile

If it is the other dogs and yo have a spare half hour (I know busy easier said than done)

Get a clicker go into the garden and when you hear a dog bark click and treat your dog, do this for a while and do it regularly. I would not let him out for a day or two unless you are doing this.

Then when he hears a dog barking he will run to you for a treat.

Sorted! <ignores the fact that this is time consuming>

Cuebill Tue 20-Nov-12 18:11:06

kiko pup on stopping barking to noise

SpicyPear Tue 20-Nov-12 18:33:34

DH did some clicker work this weekend to stop our pup barking with excitement at the neighbours in adjoining gardens. He put him in a sit before the click/treat though and after two sessions, when I took him out for his little walk, he sat down every time someone passed us blush

topsyturner Tue 20-Nov-12 20:00:10

Think I'll buy a clicker then !
I'm at home all day now , so have plenty of time .
Thanks for the tips and links .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now