Can anyone recommend a good brand of dog clippers?

(13 Posts)
suburbandream Mon 19-Nov-12 11:03:32

DDog is v hairy and hates the groomers so I'm going to try to do it myself - eek <sideways glance at ASD son who also hates haircuts and is sporting fetching bowlcut done by me!!>
Have had a look on several websites but the prices seem to vary quite a bit, I don't want to buy something cheap that will break but I don't want to pay the earth either.
Any suggestions gladly received smile

OP’s posts: |
barleysugar Mon 19-Nov-12 11:08:35

My sister and I use Andis ones which are excellent. I recommend you get two sizes of combs, one fine for the face and ears, one medium for the body and legs. Don't economise!

suburbandream Mon 19-Nov-12 11:16:09

Thanks, will have a google! Do you groom professionally or just your own dogs?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 19-Nov-12 11:49:47

After years of using a variety for different types of clippers I have to say that the Oster clippers really are the very best they are worth the investment. You do need to get the proper blade cleaner and lubricant and have your blades regularly sharpened. However, the actual clippers really will last a lifetime. We have three pairs in the clinic that are in daily use and are 20 years old still in perfect working order. In particular the Oster A5 professional clippers are the best of their range.
I have been very unimpressed with Wahl some of them are worse than useless.
None of the rechargable ones are really good they only last a couple of years and are extremely fragile if dropped.

barleysugar Mon 19-Nov-12 14:38:37

Not professionally at all! We just have three very hairy spaniels between us!

I second the advice re oiling the blades too.

suburbandream Mon 19-Nov-12 17:03:04

When I first googled the Andis ones I nearly fell off my chair with the price shock. But then I pay about £35 every 3 months so actually it's a good investment.

multipoodles Mon 19-Nov-12 21:37:20

Andis all the way, I started with Oster 30 years ago and design hasn't changed in that time but I always found they overheated. Andis two speed are what I've used last 10 years or so and I'm very happy with them. If you're not using your blades daily clean well after every use, oil and keep in airtight container. They are a very good investment and if you decide to sell you'll get almost new price for them.

Advertisement

stefanie01 Mon 26-Nov-12 19:54:55

Andis dog clippers are the best. I've had mines for years and it's still working great

Maggieme Mon 26-Nov-12 20:07:36

I agree with most of the people here that are saying Andis are the way to go. You won't regret getting one. It's a bit on the expensive side but it's worth the investment. You can find what's the best dog clippers at www.bestcovery.com/best-dog-clippers or www.thehonestreviews.com/blog/best-dog-clippers-under-150/

Reddall2000 Fri 12-Jul-19 22:31:32

Need help with choose a dog grooming clippers for a cockapoo,not what the best one is,any help please

Fucksandflowers Sat 13-Jul-19 08:09:17

Grinder.
I find clippers extremely difficult to get short enough without QuickRing personally.

Fucksandflowers Sat 13-Jul-19 08:09:46

**QUICKING I meant obv

Fucksandflowers Sat 13-Jul-19 08:11:53

Oops.
Just re read and see that you meant coat clippers!
🙄
Just ignore my post....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in