Talk

Advanced search

When do you stop praising and treating after every wee and poo?

(9 Posts)
WTFwasthat Sun 18-Nov-12 17:34:01

Mac has not soiled indoors for a week and I am still taking him out regularly ( though slightly less often) and he seems to know what's expected. Not sure I would entirely trust him indoors without my intervention but happy to completely get it cracked rather than rest on my laurels iykwim until I'm certain he has got it. But how long do I need to praise and treat for? Could I just praise and stop treating? Or should I just keep at it? It's not a problem but just wondering

Cuebill Sun 18-Nov-12 19:13:00

I still praise my 15 year old lab when she wees in the correct place so I say keep at it grin.

I would always praise for a wee in the correct place and would treat for ages yet.

Floralnomad Sun 18-Nov-12 19:39:02

I must be really mean I only ever praised and cuddled , never treated. Hope Floraldog doesn't read this , he'll feel really hard done by.

TiredBooyhoo Sun 18-Nov-12 19:44:24

i still praise and treat if i have one on me and WB is 2.5 now. he's been fully housetrained for almost 2 years.

tabulahrasa Sun 18-Nov-12 21:19:03

When he started looking at me like this hmm...

WTFwasthat Sun 18-Nov-12 22:50:06

tabulahrsa grin. i think Max gives me that look mid-squat grin! i want to cement the good behaviour

HoolioHallio Sun 18-Nov-12 23:23:11

I still do lots of praise and she hasn't had an accident inside for weeks. I do always think the neighbours will be 'hmm] at my squealing and clapping hands....

tabulahrasa Mon 19-Nov-12 00:15:39

I'm still praising him tbh, but he does just look at me like FFS woman, can you not even let me do the toilet in peace.

He does definitely know he's supposed to go outside though, so I'm backing off a bit and more standing in the doorway letting him get on with it rather than hanging about out there.

WTFwasthat Mon 19-Nov-12 07:23:14

Hoolio- yes, I do think the neighbours think I am nuts standing in the garden whatever the weather in pj's and wellies and sounding so thrilled at a bowel movement . Tabulah- i think Max knows he has to go outside but i don"t know if he knows he must'nt indoors iyswim. I think he does but for now i will just keep heaping on the praiseM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now