Talk

Advanced search

Chew that is like a rawhide thing but not?

(26 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Fri 16-Nov-12 20:33:26

After reading up on rawhide chews and ignoring the range advertised as good chews in the perfect puppy book, can anyone tell me what alternative is good for a five month old razor sharp toothed pup?
She isn't interested in the hard plasticy flavoured bones at all and she does have a kong but I only give her that in her crate. Any ideas to save my hands/legs/furniture?

ruledbyheart Fri 16-Nov-12 20:38:52

I have Stag bars for my lot, basically stag antlers that are cleaned and cut up, they are fairly pricey (depending on size) but mine LOVE them, they last ages, had them a month now and I have a powerful chewer and its still going strong.

Honestly didn't think much of them at first didn't think that it would entertain them, but I was very surprised.

Rikalaily Fri 16-Nov-12 20:43:06

Stag bars here too! We buy the large ones for our Boxer/Rottweiler cross and they last for months. They cost more than average chews but last for way longer, our boy is on his second in 7 months, all the other chews/toys are demolished within a week.

They are good for them too, full of calcium and protein.

Imsosorryalan Fri 16-Nov-12 20:51:52

Ooo will look those up! Thank yougrin

Floralnomad Fri 16-Nov-12 22:46:36

They do Stag bars in Pets at home , its better than ordering on line because they can come in odd sizes/ shapes and you can pick which you want .

morethanyoubargainfor Fri 16-Nov-12 22:51:12

Another vote for stag bars! The only thing I would say is pick your size wisely! I have 2 large breed dogs and one chihuahua x so I purchased two large and one small, only they all share one, the largest stagbars! The little dog loves to carry it around and refuses to touch the small size, it's the funniest thing because it is bigger than her head and she has to stretch her neck to full capacity just to be able to carry it grin

Floralnomad Fri 16-Nov-12 23:15:01

I agree we got our terrier a large even though he is small to medium sized and I got large for my mums JRTxborders . the large seemed a better shape for chewing .

Iamnotamindreader Fri 16-Nov-12 23:56:03

Another vote for stag bars here, don't go soggy like rawhide eventualy does.

Whitecat Sat 17-Nov-12 22:23:32

Pizzle or Paddywhack. Both a bit stinky which your dog will love. If your local pet shop doesn't sell them you can find them on ebay.

Ephiny Sun 18-Nov-12 10:43:51

Oh I was going to suggest Stag bars too! We got them from Pets at Home.

I'm not sure about suitability for puppies, but they're certainly very tough and will take a lot of chewing. We were a bit shock at how expensive they were, but they last ages (and we have Rotties, so strong jaws!), the dogs love them, and I think it's better for them than rawhide.

Only downside is the horrible teeth-on-bone scraping noise they make hmm. But better than teeth-on-furniture, I guess!

Floralnomad Sun 18-Nov-12 10:51:40

The other good thing about stag bars is they don't smell or make any mess!

ClaimedByMe Sun 18-Nov-12 10:58:24

Another vote for stag bars, I get them from a game keeper very fresh, dog loves them!

HoneyDragon Sun 18-Nov-12 11:00:22

Stag bars are suitable for pups. One of the few things that are smile

PersonalClown Sun 18-Nov-12 11:16:08

Yep Stag Bars.
The only thing my power chewers Staff and Doodle can keep intact.
They are on their second ones. They both favour the same one and it lasted about a month!!
Doesn't split, crack or splinter so perfectly safe. Trust me, mine can destroy a large Postman's Leg bone in under 15 minutes!

fanoftheinvisibleman Sun 18-Nov-12 14:41:32

I was in pets at home this morning and had read this thread yesterday so picked up a stag bar for our puppy. I don't think anything has ever had his undivided attention for so long. He loves it.

SpicyPear Sun 18-Nov-12 17:04:11

Just bought two to try. Really hoping that it will interest to SpicyDog, who is an adult Staffie that only likes to chew tiny puppy nylabones and has zero interest in anything designed to withstand her jaws!

AlmostAHipster Sun 18-Nov-12 19:05:52

Thanks for the tip - I've seen these in the shops but wasn't sure if my Staffie would fancy them. I'll definitely give it a go.

ClaimedByMe Sun 18-Nov-12 19:42:45

It is one of the few things my staffy can't get through, she has even destroyed kong toys!

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 19-Nov-12 19:33:00

Stag bars rock. We have one for peppa and her legendary jaws of death, she's had it 3 weeks and it's still in one piece. I'm very impressed!

Piffle Mon 19-Nov-12 19:38:34

yep stag bars here too

SpicyPear Tue 20-Nov-12 10:25:51

Stag bars arrived this morning. Pup was in the crate while I had a shower attacking his with gusto and gave the most horrendous scream when it fell through the side and he couldn't reach it! Big dog is on the bed happily knawing away as if life depended on it.

This is, quite simply, amazing. And absolute bliss... I might fill a cupboard with them.

CalamityKate Tue 20-Nov-12 11:48:03

Stag bars are great and make minimal mess but IMESSAGE don't last that long.

We've got a jolleys near us and they sell filled hooves. Not sure if they're pig or cow (they're cloven) but they last yonks. The downside is they stink and being black do leave stains on our light carpet. Although they seem to clean off easily.

CalamityKate Tue 20-Nov-12 11:54:42

IME, not iMessage.

suburbandream Tue 20-Nov-12 12:04:08

Ours loves his stag bar too, it's kind of U-shaped so when he's carrying it around he looks like a walrus with tusks grin

AlmostAHipster Wed 21-Nov-12 10:23:24

Well, I'm a stag bar convert after my little fella has fallen in love with the one I bought him a couple of days ago. No more swallowing huge lumps of rawhide, choking and throwing them back up - brilliant! Plus he's hardly made a dent in it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now