Talk

Advanced search

I have some clicker training questions if you have a minute..

(3 Posts)
sununu Fri 16-Nov-12 19:13:40

so, pup does a pretty good sit and a down. however I absolutely cannot lure her from a down back to a sit (or stand) at all. I think it might be because I have also tried to train a down stay, and have taught her not to 'mug the hand' for her treat (a la kikopup), so she looks at me like she reckons I am testing her 'down' and she's not going to fall for that.
If I want to repeat more sits and downs I have to keep calling her to a different place to start again. any thoughts?

also, if I say down and she lies down, so I click but she immediately stands back up again, do I treat or not? I have given her the reward marker but then she isn't doing it any more.

actually I have loads more questions too but that's a start!

TIA

Cuebill Fri 16-Nov-12 19:33:21

Teach her just to follow your hand and treat. Get a really yummy smelly treat and move it around in front of her nose but move as you are doing it. So you are leading her around click the minute she takes a step or moves to the treat.

Once you have got her used to following the treat you should find it easier to be able lure her. To lure to a sit from down you need to move your hand in an angle and upward. No just upward hope that makes sense).

This kiko pup video clearly shows the angle for moving your hand for sit to down etc even though it is called way to get a stay luring sit and down

For the moving and getting up from the down click and instantly fed her in the down position. So click and treat is pretty much at the same time to start with. Gradually increase the time between click and treat to increase the time in a down but build up to this slowly

sununu Fri 16-Nov-12 20:01:53

brilliant, thanks. she is so awesome, I may have to move to Sweden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now