Talk

Advanced search

Non-walking whippet!

(26 Posts)
KlarkyKat Fri 16-Nov-12 14:55:28

Has anybody experienced a dog that doesn't want to walk?!
My puppy is 12 weeks and has been going out for 10 days or so now. When the children hold the lead he is pretty good although often breaks into a run. However when its just myself or DH he is very reluctant and its ends with him being carried for much of the outing. Other than this his behaviour is great, and if he has a crowd of admirers he will happily strut his stuff!
Any tips?

LostInWales Fri 16-Nov-12 15:02:05

He is a whippet, they either run full pelt or sleep, there is no in between (that might just be mine though). He will love the fact that you carry him when there are no admirers around grin. This only gets worse. <typed with a whippet trying to sleep on my knee with his nose in my armpit, he is too big but is doing his best> I have no advice, you have a little princeling in your house now and he will expect to be treated as such!

paddythepooch Fri 16-Nov-12 16:59:17

Hmm. Sounds familiar.. Though our pooch is older. 10 month or so lurcher. He often refuses to walk. he is always better if part of a gang. I realised that in part he gets transfixed by traffic so check his body language. Is he nervous?

I treated for walking nicely, lots of mad jolly encouragement and it is getting better.

KlarkyKat Fri 16-Nov-12 20:32:30

Oh crikey!
Not entirely what I wanted to hear but I appreciate the replies!
If anyone else has any more advice I'm all ears smile

LostInWales Fri 16-Nov-12 21:02:31

Umm, the only helpful thing to say (and if this isn't your first whippet you will know anyway) is that you have the softest, sweetest tempered, best friend in the house with you. He will probably walk more when he gets older but be prepared for him to run like the wind and then sleep for the next 23 hours whilst trying to keep some part of his body in contact with you. And protect any food you have below about 7 feet up, he will find a way to eat it. Best dogs in the world.

LostInWales Fri 16-Nov-12 21:07:03

My darling boy the compulsion to show him off is almost worse than when I had small children blush.

Tell me more about your baby, what colour is he? Has he started nibbling you with his tiny teeth yet (this will stop), take a ton of photo's he will grow unbelievably fast <stares at her newly 1 year old who is too big for her knee and yet, as I am not moving, is obviously trying to sleep with as much of him on me as possible><again>

LadyTurmoil Sat 17-Nov-12 16:20:00

Your dog is beautiful lostinwales

ditavonteesed Sat 17-Nov-12 17:45:07

awww lost in wales he is goregous.

LostInWales Sat 17-Nov-12 23:55:18

Oh thank you blush. I would have to say it's almost impossible to find a bad looking whippet, they are a beautiful breed of dog, inside and out.

KlarkyKat Mon 19-Nov-12 16:22:13

He's gorgeous lostinwales, and when I learn how to add photos I will! My puppy is brindle with a white stripe down his face and the most soulful, guilty looking eyes ever! Probably guilty at his lack of walking wink

LostInWales Mon 19-Nov-12 21:39:21

Oh do add a picture, I really love brindles, I don't know if you are on FB but if so there is the Whippet Appreciation Society where you can spend all day looking at photo's of other peoples whippets (either running like the wind or sleeping generally wink) but it is also good for advice as there must be a thousand collective whippet owning years on there.

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Mon 19-Nov-12 22:04:22

Hello Lost <waves> not seen you around for a while! How are you doing? I see you still can't resist showing off Whippety boy grin can't say I blame you! He is rather beautiful smile

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Mon 19-Nov-12 22:05:26

My friend has a blue whippet, with 4 teeny weeny trainer socks, she is gorgeous.

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Mon 19-Nov-12 22:07:58

This is her seconds after she spat a dummy out grin

LostInWales Wed 21-Nov-12 21:37:03

<waves back at Merry> I'm not on MN quite as much as I was (only about 22.5 hours in every 24 now instead of the usual 23 wink

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Wed 21-Nov-12 21:39:38

My parents have a rescue, as in turned up in next doors garden, whippet. Laziest animal ever. Fabulous dog though.grin

KlarkyKat Thu 22-Nov-12 20:28:01

I've put up a photo of the laziest dog in the world if you want a peep! He has made some progress in the last few days but really only wants to walking in a gang of other dogs or along a line of fans and admirers!

KlarkyKat Thu 22-Nov-12 20:29:20

Love the photo Merry btw.

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 20:37:02

Klarky your profile is set to private.

KlarkyKat Thu 22-Nov-12 20:40:40

Oh bugger, I'll try to change it!

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 20:49:56

Go to 'My Mumsnet', then 'My Profile', enter your pasword then right at the bottom of the page there is a question asking if you want your profile to be visible, click 'yes', then save changes smile

KlarkyKat Thu 22-Nov-12 21:14:46

I think i've cracked it, let me know if it worked!

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 21:24:31

Yep that worked, he is beautiful! Absolutely adorable!

KlarkyKat Thu 22-Nov-12 21:44:14

Thank you!

LostInWales Thu 22-Nov-12 21:49:42

Oh that picture made me take a big intake of breath, kind of a reverse sigh, he is glorious. Man now I've got the whippet broods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now