Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed on how to increase a dog's confidence

(6 Posts)
shoutymcshoutsmum Thu 08-Nov-12 21:09:49

Hi guys, would anyone be able to help? My neutered GSP has now turned one and he is a very very loved part of the family. i really want to help him build his confidence. he zooms around the commons as happy as can be but I notice he only really plays with very submissive dogs and those a little younger than him. With more confident dogs, he flattens himself to the ground. He gets bounced upon most walks and his tail then protects his private parts. sometimes he even gets humped or the dogs seem to prevent himfrom coming over when he looks like he's trying. What's the best thing I can do to build his confidence?

shoutymcshoutsmum Fri 09-Nov-12 07:48:47

bump

Inthepotty Fri 09-Nov-12 10:30:42

Play play play!

My dog (similar age) had a bit of a wobble a while ago, after being attacked by another dog. My trainer advised loads of tug games, let him 'win' every time. Act it up so he feels he's really got that toy off of you, make him feel all if and clever. Don't feel the need to rush him into playin with other dogs, it's ok if he'd rather just play with you.

shoutymcshoutsmum Fri 09-Nov-12 13:44:08

Thanks inthepotty. I just wonder do you call your dog away if you think he is being played with by other dogs and isn't enjoying it or do you just leave him to it?

Inthepotty Fri 09-Nov-12 13:53:43

I call him away or walk off.

shoutymcshoutsmum Fri 09-Nov-12 14:11:01

me too. Apart from him being humped, I don't like it when dogs areobviously barring his return to me. Hey ho, we perservere grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now