Talk

Advanced search

Fishy smell - anal glands?

(3 Posts)
schilke Tue 06-Nov-12 21:13:57

My dog is nearly 4 and she has regularly had this problem. We smell that smell and she licks her bottom. Oh it's awful. She never scoots across the floor - just suddenly aware of fishy smell and then licks.

Having googled the suggestions are her anal glands need to be emptied by the vet - hmmm we'd be going once a week!

Or give her quality dog food - she already does have that. Is there anything else I can do?

schilke Tue 06-Nov-12 21:15:10

How typical - just scrolled down the page and there is already a thread about this so feel free to ignore....I'll go and read that one blush

LoveDogs Tue 06-Nov-12 21:53:45

Our 3 year old girl has an anal glad problem, we take her to the vets when it seems to be a problem, we've probably been 3 or 4 times for this so far in her life, it doesn't seem to be a problem with food as she has the same stuff all the time, when we first took her to the vets for this they told us we could be going back every couple of months! As one of the vets had a dog who had a real problem with it, luckily for our girl it doesn't seem to to often.
Last time we went, in July she was very full up and the vet showed us then how to do it at home but haven't actually needed to do it yet (touch wood).

Just wondered if anybody else has noticed when the vet empties the dogs anal gland the dogs eyes tend to pop a little, feel sooo sorry for our girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now