Talk

Advanced search

What age do they stop growing taller?

(5 Posts)
RedwingWinter Tue 06-Nov-12 16:36:09

I am just wondering as one of mine has shot up an inch. He was previously a stray so I don't know exactly how old he is, though would guess at 2 and a half right now. I always thought they stopped gaining height by 2. Can they keep growing taller after that, or should I revise my estimate of his age? He can't possibly be any younger than 2.

extremepie Wed 07-Nov-12 00:16:43

What kind of dog is he? How big is he now?

It's always harder to tell with rescue dogs but generally speaking giant breed dogs keep growing longer than all other breeds - I have 2 great danes around the age of 2 and are still growing!

That being said I haven't heard of any dogs that have kept growing past the age of 3 so he should have stopped by then!

Mind you, I'm not an expert so someone may well tell me different..

RedwingWinter Wed 07-Nov-12 00:43:58

Thanks - he is a siberian husky x with alaskan malamute. Malamutes are pretty big so maybe they keep growing longer, same as other large breeds?

extremepie Wed 07-Nov-12 00:55:09

I would think that could be the answer - when we got extremeboydog a year ago he was 31in (at 18 months) and I didn't think he would get any bigger but had recently gone up to 33in!

Am really jealous of you though, I loooove huskies but I just can't deal with all the walking and brushing smile

RedwingWinter Wed 07-Nov-12 02:31:47

Thanks. Wow, that's a big dog!! I bet he is beautiful.

Yes, endless walking, brushing and vacuuming. But lots of happy woos too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now