Talk

Advanced search

Today my aunt had her dog put down- what can I do

(4 Posts)
F1rstT1meMummy Mon 05-Nov-12 21:04:43

Her dog, who was lovely and always full of energy had to go to sleep today because he had a Tumour.

She has not got a partner, her dog was her company and she is, obviously devastated.

What can I do or buy her as a thinking of you thing?

Scuttlebutter Mon 05-Nov-12 22:34:54

It's great that you are thinking of her. A card can be a nice gesture. Do you have any really nice pictures of her and her dog together? If you do, how about getting one made into a nice print and framed as a Christmas present? If you have a few, you could make a little scrap book. She might also appreciate a donation to a suitable rescue in memory of her dog. Depending on what she decides, she may want to scatter her dog's ashes in her garden, bury them or scatter them somewhere special (such as a favourite beach or park). Your aunt might appreciate your company and support when she is ready to do this.

Really, the most important thing is what you are already doing smile - thinking of her and caring about her.

Don't rush to suggest she gets another dog, just let the grieving process happen, and let her decide when/whether to talk about it.

Wishing you and her all the best.

SpicyPear Tue 06-Nov-12 12:16:35

Those are good ideas. I think most of all she will appreciate that you take her grief seriously and realise he was not "just a dog".

F1rstT1meMummy Wed 07-Nov-12 19:57:47

Thank you for your advice!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now