Talk

Advanced search

It's the fireworks isn't it?

(6 Posts)
rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 05-Nov-12 19:25:13

My dog has just done an enormous crap in my bedroom.
I'm assuming this is because she is nervous about the fireworks?
She doesn't seem overly bothered, I've just taken her outside for 5 mins to have a wee and she has done one ok.
It wasnt messy, just stinky and huge.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 06-Nov-12 12:50:07

Quite possibly - has she seemed particularly worried about the fireworks? Don't know about you but it's been a really long weekend of it down here - luckily my two aren't bothered but it must be awful for people with dogs who are afraid.

If it's a one-off, not loose or anything I'd just chalk it up to experience and keep her close by next time there are fireworks.

Oh, and clean with a non-ammonia based cleaner smile

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 06-Nov-12 13:41:59

Not seemed unduly bothered, but wouldn't go outside without me with her for a wee, dh being about as dog savvy as a brick probably opened the door and assumed she didn't want to go out, when actually she did and just needed someone with her. She is fine today and hasn't weed or pooed anywhere since, and went out for her morning mad half hour quite happily

stretch Tue 06-Nov-12 19:49:48

Can I just jump on this thread please? Didn't want to start a whole new one for nearly the same thing.

Our 10 month Staff is petrified of the fireworks (which started around here on the 1st Nov hmm) We have had her close by as possible, but she has started weeing all over the place. This is the fireworks isn't it? She doesn't even go outside with DH, even with a treat! Any ideas??
(She is currently hiding under DS' train table sad)

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 06-Nov-12 20:31:25

I really feel for these poor animals at this time of year - I'm so lucky my two don't really care.

stretch if you don't usually have problems like this then it may be the fireworks - though difficult to say if she's weeing more because she's stressed, or just not going outside. Try and take her out before dark so she can go then. There are a couple of other threads going around that have useful suggestions for dealing with the stress, like TTouch and distraction techniques. Hopefully the worst is over for now and you can do some practice sessions between now and New Year.

When I work with people who's dogs are afraid of fireworks I give them a CD of firework sounds to desensitise their dogs, but it's a really delicate process and I'd strongly recomend getting a professional to guide you through the process.

SpicyPear Tue 06-Nov-12 21:38:49

SpicyDog has a bladder of steel and has had one accident related to the fireworks. It's not fear but rather that she doesn't want to go outside to go.

FOr the last week or so she will not go out of the front door and will only go out into the back garden if I take her on a lead. I've reduced it to morning, once during the day and last thing at night. As soon as she's done she sprints back to the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now