Talk

Advanced search

what is the guide for walking times for pup. he can go out this week and will be a day short of 14 weeks

(6 Posts)
WTFwasthat Sun 04-Nov-12 22:46:41

5 mins per what? Surely that refers to activity. I am assuming sniffing and snuffling about is not included in the time?

ruledbyheart Mon 05-Nov-12 02:11:19

Rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of age however a Jack russell or Lab would need more then say a chihuahua or pug.

PseudoBadger Mon 05-Nov-12 05:50:21

5 minutes per month of age is even more important for a late breed ruledby.
OP It is the total time you can be out IMO, but you can do it as many times a day as you like.

PseudoBadger Mon 05-Nov-12 05:51:52

So you're looking at around 15 mins per walk.

WTFwasthat Mon 05-Nov-12 07:24:30

ok, that does seem quite short. i want to collect ds from school ( 10 mins each way for me) that would be ok surely?

tabulahrasa Mon 05-Nov-12 10:09:28

It'll take you more than that though...well it did me, he didn't walk at walking speed, everything had to be sniffed, suddenly the streets were full of people desperate to stroke a puppy, lol.

Could you carry him there and walk him back?

I don't stick to it exactly, but I try to judge it as how far I'd get in 15 minutes without the puppy.

It's a lab cross you've got eh? They're one of the breeds you need to be careful with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now