Talk

Advanced search

can anyone else's dog open doors?

(25 Posts)
TheHeadlessLambrini Sun 04-Nov-12 18:21:07

our springer spaniel has learnt how to open doors - this is not a stealth boast BTW grin she jumps up, pulls the handle down and then hops back until the door is open enough to get her nose in.

We have changed the internal door handles to round ones which she is not impressed with, but the problem I have is the back external door. I have searched for a round handle for that but can't find one anywhere - only paddle type ones which are no good as the 'paddle' goes on the outside of the door. Can't put the 'paddle' on the inside because the screws would then be on the outside.

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone think of any other solution other than keeping the door locked which is not ideal?
TIA

LoveDogs Sun 04-Nov-12 18:34:49

We had this with our dog when she was younger and one day we came home to find our two dogs on the driveway and they had been there all morning, luckily they didn't run away they just layed down and went to sleep, but I'm afraid I can't give you any advice on getting a new door handle.

TheHeadlessLambrini Sun 04-Nov-12 18:42:03

she is a very timid dog and I don't think that she would run away if she got out of the gate but she would be really scared and likely to bark at anyone which went near her even bite shock if she was really scared.

Blistory Sun 04-Nov-12 18:49:18

Can you put the handle on upside down ? I still haven't mastered opening the door we did this to five years ago....

TheHeadlessLambrini Sun 04-Nov-12 19:11:51

blistory unfortunately the door is a UPVC so you have to pull the handle up to shut it.

Stepmumm Sun 04-Nov-12 19:14:00

I have the same problem and the only solution is to lock the door

BooyhooRemembering Sun 04-Nov-12 19:16:38

why dont you lock the external doors?

my dog can open the internal ones. i'm thinking of changing the doors themselves but hadn't thought of round knobs. thanks op.

BooyhooRemembering Sun 04-Nov-12 19:17:58

could you have a yale type lock fitted to the exterior door?

crypes Sun 04-Nov-12 19:19:58

Dogs are highly intelligent when needs be. We have patio doors to garden and if we dont slide them completely closed our staffy will push them apart and get out even if theres oney a millimetre to push her nose in. We can not work out how on earth she does it.

bubble2bubble Sun 04-Nov-12 21:39:41

Oh yes, one of our dogs can - she is half springer.
Her favourite trick is to break out of the kitchen at 4 in the morning in search of a comfy sofa and set off the alarm. All doors not in constant use locked here I'm afraid.

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Sun 04-Nov-12 21:41:42

Was going to suggest changing handle to knob method (highly effective on a lab) but see that is not possible.

Stairgate at some point in between?

PacificDogwood Sun 04-Nov-12 21:42:31

The dog I grew up with could open certain doors which were subsequently locked.

Can you replace the door handle with a door knob? Twisting requires an opposable thumb grin.

The above mentioned dog could also open the tap in my parents' house downstairs loo and help himself to water to drink. Too bad he never bothered to close the tap...

MrsRhettButler Sun 04-Nov-12 21:42:56

My dog can but it's come in very useful each time I've locked myself out (and yes, it happens that often!) he hasn't quite mastered the hop back bit yet though so I need to push from the outside whilst he holds down the handle <teamwork>

Floralnomad Sun 04-Nov-12 21:43:27

Ours opens doors , he learnt quite recently and it really amuses him . Could you put a bolt on the door?

tooearlytobeup Sun 04-Nov-12 21:45:45

I have a springer. He worked out quite quickly how to open the external doors which were the same sort as yours. We kept them locked for a few weeks and when he worked out he wasn't allowed to open them he stopped.

We have all round handles on the interior doors, and he has worked them out too but I have no idea how as he has never done it while I'm watching him hmm The door to the living room is very stiff so the DC cant open it without help, but the dog lets himself in at will grin

tooearlytobeup Sun 04-Nov-12 21:48:22

He never lets himself in/out if hes told to get out of the room, just if the door has been shut when he's nowhere near it, so its never actually been a problem.

rubyrubyruby Sun 04-Nov-12 21:49:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoldenOrangeWhippoorwhill Sun 04-Nov-12 22:51:56

My Curly Coated Retriever who died recently could open doors and once she got too old to jump over the stair-gates she learned to open those too. grin It was really hard to keep her out of any where.

She also learned to open the fridge one Boxing Day when it was packed with Xmas goodies. We came home to three dogs stuffed full of turkey, beef, ham, game pie, trifle, xmas pudding, cheese, chocolates and cake. Buggers!

TheCunnyFuntWearingAPoppy Mon 05-Nov-12 12:46:17

Could you get a chain for the door and just keep it chained?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 05-Nov-12 12:59:47

Our dog can open doors. DH turned the handles upside down so the lever operates upwards and not downwards, that foxed the little bugger him.

charlearose Tue 06-Nov-12 15:01:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sunflowerseeds Tue 06-Nov-12 18:25:10

A friend's dog (collie x) can open door knobs, turning them in her mouth. She also opened the latch on the garden gate and friend's Ds got told off for leaving it open twice before she was caught in the act. I wish my dog was half as clever.

TheHeadlessLambrini Tue 06-Nov-12 18:59:44

it sounds like there are alot of very clever dogs out there, as long as they don't get in cahoots with zombies we should be OK grin thanks for all the suggestions.

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Tue 06-Nov-12 19:31:02

Must be a springer thing as my previous dog learnt that too.

Was a real nuisance when he'd let himself in with his huge muddy feet!

cedmonds Tue 06-Nov-12 19:33:13

HI
Sorry got no suggestions. One of my collies can open anything twist door knobs cabinet doors we have to have locks on everything to stop her as she just jumps stair gates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now