Talk

Advanced search

Before I head upstairs with pup, how long would you give the crate before giving up

(46 Posts)
WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 22:29:45

6 nights now and pup gets so stressed in there. I think i will have to let him upstairs but still hesitant. he has twice barked so much in there he has vomited. I guess crates don't suit all dogs. Also as he is a rescue pup he hasn't had that great a start and maybe the whole crate thing is too stressful for him?

lisad123 Sat 03-Nov-12 22:31:14

What's his crate like? We always covered ours over and made it nice and snug.

fanoftheinvisibleman Sat 03-Nov-12 22:33:42

I'd be tempted to take the crate upstairs. He might be totally different in there if he knows you are right next to him but it gives you the option of continuity if you then want to try moving him back out.

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 22:35:01

same. lovely cosy bed in there. Other half paper. covered with blanket, big teddy inside, chew toys and a Kong. On advice I left Tv on a radio station with talking for light and sound. I'd love to sleep in there!

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 22:35:48

fanof - yes, I think that's my solution. at least it is a start!

Floralnomad Sat 03-Nov-12 22:36:08

Personally I'd rather sleep downstairs for a few nights before I let the dog upstairs but its just my preference . When my rescue first came home I settled him in his pen turned the lights out and just sat with him till he was quiet ,then sat outside the door , then a bit further away . However he got going to bed and being quiet quickly and has a very organised bedtime routine - wee, sweets then lights out!

ExitPursuedByABanger Sat 03-Nov-12 22:37:37

Oh bless - mine settled almost immediately - a few whines on his first night but nothing more. If you don't mind him being in with you, then go for it.

Floralnomad Sat 03-Nov-12 22:41:01

The other consideration is how dependent on you do you want him to be and by giving up on the night thing will it encourage him to not want to be left alone during the day .

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 22:41:56

i am so on the fence! i think as toninght will be the 7 th night he would have settledby now if he ws going to. i would rather have 6 or 7 solid hours than be woken every hour by pups pitiful cries. Not fair on him or me. My main worry is the weeing and pooing and what to do if he starts whining tonight

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 22:43:04

if he just whined a bit then settled that would be fine but all night?????!!!!

Floralnomad Sat 03-Nov-12 22:46:41

Go to bed later , stick ear plugs in and ignore , as long as he is not disturbing the neighbours ! Have you not got a downstairs loo/ utility room that you could stick a gate on rather than a crate ?

LadyTurmoil Sat 03-Nov-12 22:49:32

Good luck for tonight - whatever your decision re. crate in bedroom or downstairs smile

ExitPursuedByABanger Sat 03-Nov-12 22:51:02

6 days is a long time to be unhappy.

sad for puppy.

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 22:52:49

the thing that concerns me most is the vomitting. If he was merely fussing or needed to be let out for a wee that would be easier to handle but he is clearly so distressed

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 22:54:18

Exit I know. that is why i am in such a quandry. He did settle for a couple of nights but not totally. so confused!

fairimum Sat 03-Nov-12 22:55:11

put him in the crate, next to your bed for a week or so!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 03-Nov-12 22:55:28

About 10 minutes.

Training wasn't my strong point - she thought she was human and I didn't do anything enough to discourage it. I miss my old girl.

I think you should take him to bed with you hope that someone with some good advice sees the thread.

But don't put ear plugs in and ignore - that's just cruel sad

Toughasoldboots Sat 03-Nov-12 22:55:44

Noo, take him upstairs and snuggle him.

Maryz Sat 03-Nov-12 22:56:17

Are you happy to have him upstairs for the rest of his life?

If so, fine, give up now.

If not, you have to stick to it, so might have to sleep on a mattress downstairs for a bit until he is used to it.

Or [hardcore] stick it out.

Depends on how nice you are.

cocolepew Sat 03-Nov-12 22:58:18

I gave it half an hour grin two and a half years later she still is sleeping on my feet at the bottom of the bed.

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 22:58:45

i dont know! i dont want him unhappy. i dont want a lifetime of dog in my room. i dont know

ExitPursuedByABanger Sat 03-Nov-12 22:59:23

I would love my boy to sleep with me, but he settled the first night.

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 23:00:13

i think he may progress to the landing eventually hmm

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 23:04:02

i think he may progress to the landing eventually hmm

Floralnomad Sat 03-Nov-12 23:06:18

Why don't you try sleeping on the sofa and leaving him loose in the living room and seeing if he settles then . And BTW * chipping* it was said in jest ! My own dog is currently sleeping soundly in his armchair , no signs of cruelty here . Although I do agree with the posters who say to remember that they are dogs , not people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now