Talk

Advanced search

so, how many of you have your dog sleep in your room?

(57 Posts)
WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 08:56:38

i am thinking this may be the way forward for me and Max as he simply does not settle in his crate at night and i am getting no sleep. i wont put the crate up there? Or should i? what about wee/poo? He is 13 weeks old and we have had him since last Sunday

cocolepew Sat 03-Nov-12 09:23:37

Me, dog has slept on my bed since the day after we got her 2 and a half years ago.

rainbowinthesky Sat 03-Nov-12 09:25:29

No, never. We were firm from day one and dogs never allowed upstairs. Co slept with dc and not giving bed up to a dog now.

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 03-Nov-12 09:27:18

All of my dogs sleep on the bed and always have.

I currently have 2 and a foster. They all curl up at the end of the bed.

BigDog sometimes sleeps on the floor, on his own bed but not always.

They have never had a wee or poo in the bedroom.

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 03-Nov-12 09:28:31

Forgot to mention, at only 13 weeks you will probably need to either get up with him for a late night wee or else go to bed late and get up very early.

chipsandpeas Sat 03-Nov-12 09:35:00

me, dogs bed in the room but he will start off the nght on the bed then wander off into his own

Rhinestone Sat 03-Nov-12 10:28:17

Me. Nothing nicer than curling up with your pooch.

IME, puppies won't wee or poo in the bed because it's the ''den' the sacred sleeping area. Might wake you up to go outside though.

TheMonster Sat 03-Nov-12 10:29:31

We have both dogs in ur bed. My advice is not to do it!

fanoftheinvisibleman Sat 03-Nov-12 10:50:33

Mine is downstairs but I would cave in your circumstances.

Mine has also not weed or pooed in his crate at night since 8 and 1/2 weeks. He's 14 weeks today and can go 9 hours at night without a wee so not all need to get up through the night.

lucyellenmum Sat 03-Nov-12 10:52:18

One dog on the bed (between me and DP, great contraceptive) and one dog under the bed who occasionally gets on the bed in the mornings.

PersonalClown Sat 03-Nov-12 10:59:22

Nope. Can't do it.
I'd love to and if it was just the Staffy, everything would be fine.

Problem is the Doodle. He takes up far too much room, lays across your legs, can't get comfy/keep still, is off on constant wanders around the house....
I could go on.
Downstairs they has a large chair to themselves, thick, fluffy blankets and all the space they want.

onessa Sat 03-Nov-12 11:47:17

Our 2 older dogs sleep downstairs in crates, doors open on crates so they can wander around, get a drink etc....though they rarely do as they enjoy their sleep too much!
Rescue puppy, under 1year, cried and howled when put in own crate in same room as other dogs. I don't believe in letting dogs(or children!) cry so brought his crate upstairs to our bedroom. he is very happy there. Sleeps soundly from when we put him in the crate to when we get him out. He is obviously secure and comfy in the crate and gets to watch late night tv!
You have to,do,what feels best for yourselves.
I would rather have a peaceful nights sleep and a happy puppy than a crying puppy.
Actually he is curled up on the bed next to me now...I have just returned home after an operation so am making the most of recuperation time by lazing in bed! The dogs have all been out for a good walk with my lovely husband and puppy is curled up under the dressing gowns.! If only the rescue centre and fosterer could see him now!!....though you can only see the top of his head peeping out...oh to be a puppy!

Aquelven Sat 03-Nov-12 12:12:13

My two littlest ones sleep in our bedroom. They have their own beds but the very littlest one always ends up curled up next to me on the bed. She doesn't settle well if she can't snuggle up close to me.
The big ones sleep downstairs in the hall, it has lots of draught free nooks & crannies ( old house ).

The little ones wake me if they need to go out during the night, never had an accident, the tiniest one nudges my face. The big ones downstairs sleep through.

Gorran Sat 03-Nov-12 12:27:40

Yes, Daisy's in our room and has been since the second week after we got her as she just would not settle in her crate downstairs. She was fine in it during the day when we went out, but hated it at night.

She used to wake for a wee hideously early (4.30am at times!) but now goes through til 7.30am at least. She's 7 months.

I don't regret putting her in our room at all, we all got a good night's sleep and apart from at nighttime, she's still not allowed upstairs.

HoneyDragon Sat 03-Nov-12 12:49:50

Nope. All my dogs have slept downstairs. Hully is 6 months and has only just been allowed out her crate and the run of the conservatory. So last night she slept on the sofa.

Toughasoldboots Sat 03-Nov-12 12:52:06

Mine does, I am a softie and she hates being in her own I so would do it in your situation it's up to you really.

Snusmumriken Sat 03-Nov-12 13:06:18

I sleep share a bed with DH, DS our dog and our cat. Needless to say, I am always covered in hair.

WTFwasthat Sat 03-Nov-12 13:12:19

hmmm. well I think I will give it a go. He def does mot settle at night at all well. Not sure I want him in bed but in room is fine or on bed. My sister did this with her lab and she now happily sleeps downstairs in a dogbed without fuss ( the dog, not my sister grin. I cannot see max getting used tomit at all. He haschad a rough startbso maybe that is why he craves human company more than some. I think he may get quite big so I will have to review things once he is housetrained!

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Sat 03-Nov-12 13:15:43

Little dog sleeps in my bed the bedroom but the bigger one has to stay downstairs - blatant favouritism!

I wouldn't let a puppy sleep upstairs though unless they are very securely housetrained. Cleaning up the kitchen floor in the morning is one thing but a bed? And as long as you are happy they won't be wanting to play with you at 3am - at that age our younger dog would grin

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 03-Nov-12 14:18:54

Puppy can open every door in the house. He was never technically allowed on the bed, he'd just wait until we were asleep and then pounce on us. We started to invite him on the bed early on to stop the pouncing.

Whippy will be sleeping with us this weekend up until the fireworks stop because she is terrified of them.

Devil Dog occasionally gets to sleep with us, but knows only to come in if he has been invited. I normally invite him if DH staying out the night or if puppy is being a pain in the arse. The puppy is nervous of Devil Dog and will not pounce on the bed when he is on it. Devil Dog is a very polite bed partner. He sleeps only at the end, where he has been trained to and refrains from being noisy.

Inthepotty Sat 03-Nov-12 14:23:21

My dog sleeps at the bottom of the stairs. Completely ignores his bed and squeezes all 22kg 24inch to the shoulder of himself onto a step. He most certainly did not sleep in my bed last night along with 3 DC as DH away!! Shhhhhhh

Floralnomad Sat 03-Nov-12 14:27:26

Definite no no here , upstairs is a no go area for our boy . It's taken me over 20 years to get my DH to agree to a dog at all and that would be a step too far . Besides he rolls in stuff and lays in muddy puddles and unless I was shampooing him every day I would be having to change my bed linen daily .

Giglet Sat 03-Nov-12 14:36:07

No way. My beautiful choccy lab is fab but I would not have her in bed with me and DH. She loves her crate in her own room - and take herself off to bed when she is tired.

That said I do love cuddles on the sofa with her during the day, though the cleavage licking is a bit grim / yuck!

vjg13 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:53:30

No, dogs not allowed upstairs or on sofa <strict, meany emoticon>!! Still find dog hair upstairs though.

TheCunnyFuntWearingAPoppy Sat 03-Nov-12 15:41:21

Yes, our greyhound slept upstairs until about 2 weeks ago when he decided to stay downstairs at night confused but this weekend he will be in our room whether he likes it or not. I'd rather he be with us and scared rather than downstairs, alone and scared.

He does sleep on his own bed on the floor though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now