Talk

Advanced search

It's the season of mists and muddly floorfulness

(21 Posts)
Scuttlebutter Fri 02-Nov-12 13:55:08

Please, I know it's very dull, but talk to me about steam mops. blush

We are currently a four hound household and are likely to be so until at least next spring. I keep hearing things about steam mops and am wondering if they might help with house cleaning over the winter months (though with the monsoon summer, it might have been useful then too). Any other dog owners with experience (good or bad) with them?

Downstairs, we have laminate in hall, loo, dining and living room, floor tiles in utility and kitchen, upstairs is carpet (except bathrooms). Downstairs is the bit that gets really filthy.

pimmsgalore Fri 02-Nov-12 14:16:04

I lurve my steam mop it gets rid of doggy and children prints in a jiffy. My mum just got one she was so impressed with mine. Just make sure you get one with spare cloth so you have a spare whilst one is in the washing machine

Stoney666 Fri 02-Nov-12 14:48:06

I am thinking about getting one but was warned it may lift the laminate floor. I would be happy just if it cleaned kitchen/utility tiles. Can anyone recommend a good onegrin

HoneyDragon Fri 02-Nov-12 15:03:23

I have one of those twisty mops. Super speedy and I wash the heads in the washing machine smile

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 02-Nov-12 15:05:55

Yes yes yes to steam mops.

That's it. Just yes.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Fri 02-Nov-12 15:06:49

No advice, but am hoping to hear good things about steam mops.

My kitchen and utility room vinyl have gone several shades darker since ToomuchDog arrived!! And though I mop regularly it doesn't seem to help the ingrained mud. The thought of getting down on my stiff knees with a scrubbing brush and bottle of Cif doesn't appeal, esp if it only lasts a few days.

Scuttlebutter Fri 02-Nov-12 15:43:39

Ok, so it's a yes to the general idea. Pimms and Tantrums, what make do you have, and where did you buy it?

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 02-Nov-12 15:47:16

www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-FSM1600-Steam-Mop/dp/tech-data/B004RCNRX4/ref=de_a_smtd

That one. It is brilliant. From amazon.

pimmsgalore Fri 02-Nov-12 15:57:44

Tantrums are you me? I was about to go that one its the one I have grin

Stoney666 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:08:17

have just ordered onegrin

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 02-Nov-12 16:10:31

pimms it's bloody good isn't it?

pimmsgalore Fri 02-Nov-12 16:11:51

Just a note of caution, you may need to shut dogs out when using. Pimmsdog has an absolute fit every time it hisses and barks/snaps at it (although that may just be his "issues")

pimmsgalore Fri 02-Nov-12 16:12:52

yes tantrums I LURVE mine even more than my robot hoover (which is currently broken due to too much dog hair)

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 02-Nov-12 16:17:10

Oh Yy to removing the dogs. LittleDog thinks its a toy.

Happydaze Fri 02-Nov-12 18:58:18

Great recommendation, have also ordered one. Looks like amazon will soon run out grin

Scuttlebutter Fri 02-Nov-12 22:04:49

A gadget that hisses?! shock And gets floors cleaned. This is better than a James Bond film. I want one. NOW!!

Thank you for all the recommendations - very helpful. I foresee hours of fun and clean floors in the Butter household.

LadyTurmoil Fri 02-Nov-12 22:32:44

Funny, saw an advert for one of these last night and was having hoover/mop envy! Good to know it actually works, love the James Bond reference, Scuttle!

Scuttlebutter Fri 02-Nov-12 23:49:43

Well, ideally if it was a James Bond steam mop, it would also have a laser and a big red counting down number thing on the top, so JB could swing by and say "If we don't cut the yellow wire in 10 seconds, the auxiliary steam valve will set off a chain reaction and all of S Wales will be deluged in an enormous cloud of greyhound hair". grin I quite like the idea of a domestic appliance with lasers grin and possibly a missile launcher. I also quite like the idea of Daniel Craig in my kitchen but that's another matter wink

LadyTurmoil Fri 02-Nov-12 23:52:32

Aah, Daniel Craig in my kitchen - good thought to end the night with. Sweet dreams!

HoneyDragon Sat 03-Nov-12 06:59:51

A Hoover with a laser pointer to distract the cat and bonio missile projecter to distract the dog would be awesome. Miele should upgrade their next Cat & Dog.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sun 04-Nov-12 12:44:32

I foresee honeydragon on Dragons Den!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now