Talk

Advanced search

Is there something wrong, or is he just growing up?

(10 Posts)
Lougle Fri 02-Nov-12 10:01:23

Patch is 1 year old later this month.

In the last week or two he's seemed really quiet. He very rarely barks anyway (Staffy) so it isn't about how 'vocal' he is. It's more about how he's behaving.

He still goes mad when we come in after being out (even if I've only been out 10 minutes) but his jumpiness has improved, partly through training, and partly because he now goes and fetches his rope toy so that we can tug for him.

However, during the day, he mostly sleeps. If the family are in two separate places, he often sits in the hall, but he seems quite subdued. If I go upstairs, he often follows and sits in the hall waiting for me.

I sound crazy, and he's probably just 'growing up' but it's niggling me that he's so subdued. Having said that, as soon as I sit down, he snuggles up and goes to sleep, so perhaps what he's really doing is just waiting patiently for me to sit down?

HarlettOScara Fri 02-Nov-12 10:05:38

If he's eating/drinking/pooing normally and has normal energy levels/enthusiasm for his walks then it's likely that he Hasidic just calming down a bit.

Or he could just be lulling you into a false sense of security before he unleashes his inner Tasmanian devil on you grin

HarlettOScara Fri 02-Nov-12 10:07:36

Hasidic? Is he Jewish? Gotta love iPhone's random autocorrects! hmm

could

nippysweetie82 Fri 02-Nov-12 10:17:02

My staffy is 11 months old and I've noticed the same changes in her behaviour in the past few weeks. I think it's probably normal and they are just maturing.

Lougle Fri 02-Nov-12 10:19:48

Isn't it madness? I spend the whole 11 months thinking 'goodness he's a whirlwind' and worrying I've bitten off more than I can chew. He calms down, and I start worrying that he's not well grin

He's still a complete tealeaf though. He has a penchant for wrappers from bins. He skulks to the general area, looks over his shoulder, then gingerly grabs the edge of the offending item with the tip of teeth. He then gives another glance over his shoulder before taking his ill-gotten gains for destruction.

nippysweetie82 Fri 02-Nov-12 10:43:51

Yes, that sounds like my Poppy. I've been a bit worried about her too but she seems fine in every other way, still begging for food and still getting excited when anyone walks in the door.
She just sleeps more than she used to and has calmed down alot. I'm sure it is just part of them growing up and maturing. We spend the first few months complaining about their hyper behaviour but we miss it when they calm down!

pinkbraces Fri 02-Nov-12 11:32:09

I have a loony labradoodle who has started to calm down, I was worried and took her to the vet blush who knows Im totally neurotic, he said she is just growing up. smile

SpicyPear Fri 02-Nov-12 12:43:22

This thread has really cheered me up. At breakfast this morning, pup was tearing round and trying to eat everything in sight, me and DH just looked at each other and both said "do you think he's always going to be like this?"

Aquelven Fri 02-Nov-12 15:17:06

Staffies are big softies at heart really. I meet lots of owners at the terrier shows.
Funny things terriers! Most of them are right whirlwinds, grab life by the scruff of the neck, look out world here I come. Then you get others, like my Skyes, who are right couch potatoes. Seems some Staffies can be the same.

My loopy spaniel is much clamer in the house now at 16 months and does sleep a lot in the day. I like it <collapses in a relieved heap>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now