Talk

Advanced search

Can a cruciate tear again after repair?

(3 Posts)
tink123 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:35:21

Hi. Our springer had a cruciate tear repaired with an extra-capsular suture in April. After a 10 week course of hydrotherapy he was back to 99% with no residual limp.

In the past week he has twice limped when getting up, but it righted itself within mins. Now today he has had a couple of walks (only 5 mins off lead) and he has come home, slept a little, now he is walking on three legs and refusing to put much weight on his leg.

I was led to believe a re-injury after so long is unlikely. so all i wanted to know, is it possible? I will take him to vets if there is no improvement by tomorrow ;(

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 01-Nov-12 22:29:21

Yes it is possible, but uncommon.

pequena Mon 05-Nov-12 16:12:11

It may not be re-injury, but damage from the surgery. However good the surgeon is, they are poking about in a place that normally wouldn't get poked about it and there is always residual damage, just getting to the surgical site. This can cause problems later on, even after a seemingly good recovery.

Did you go back to your vet and how did you get on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now