Talk

Advanced search

Probably stupid but dog walking clothes?!

(27 Posts)
Gorran Thu 01-Nov-12 12:12:48

I take Daisy to the park most mornings straight from the school run, I usually get dressed for the day and just put wellies on but increasingly I'm finding it unpractical with mud/cold etc. So, do you have specific dog walking clothes? If so, what? I'm thinking I won't bother dressing properly and just shove jeans and a warm coat on - sod looking glam (ish!) on the school run... I need to be warm!!

zillyzilly Thu 01-Nov-12 12:14:04

Yes, it's a sport as well as an art form, and you need appropriate clothes. Get a Barbour and some proper wellies. grin

vampirestakeknickers Thu 01-Nov-12 12:23:49

Dogs and glamour do not mix, despite what Jilly Cooper etc might have you believe... My autumn/winter dogwalking couture collection from the top down is:-

A Tilley Hat. Keeps rain out of specs and from running down neck.

In really foul weather I have a truly hideous waterproof, furfabric lined, peaked hat with earflaps. DDs keep trying to chuck it away but it does the job of preventing earfreeze up on the Downs.

A pretty but warm scarf. The only concession to femininitygrin

Fleece with waterproof jacket over. Gloves, poobags, treats etc stuffed in pockets.

If very wet, deep unsexy waterproof trousers. Otherwise jeans.

Waterproof boots. Mine are DuBarry type leather wellies, but I do run a dogwalking business so regard them as an investment.

Gorran Thu 01-Nov-12 12:44:57

Right so I'm halfway there; I've got a pair of Hunters now and have ordered Aigle Parcours as they're full length and will fit my hideously wide calves. Would have loved Dubarrys but legs too fat!

Now need warm waterproof coat - have a warm coat, and a waterproof one but would be handy to have one that does it all.

Scuttlebutter Thu 01-Nov-12 12:51:27

Another one here with beautifully turned out hounds and a human accompaniment who is dressed for comfort and practicality rather than style. grin I have a selection blush of fleeces, a down gilet and a wonderful Squall coat, all from Lands End who make excellent outdoor clothing. The Squall is amazing, windproof, waterproof and superwarm. Stylish it's not though - it's the Volvo estate of coats, sensible, roomy, practical and as aerodynamic as a brick. Style mavens laugh at fleece but it's intensely practical - warm, water resistant and easily washable. I have a selection of lovely cheerful scarves and a couple of hats, plus gloves. Whatever you have must have plenty of pockets for poo bags, phone, treats etc. On my feet I have a lightweight pair of Clarks walking boots for dryer days and a very comfy pair of Mountain Horse yard boots for wetter. I don't get on with wellies - don't find them particularly comfy for walking in.

A lot of equestrian clothing is often worth a look - usually good standards of warmth, water proofing etc. Also, unlike a lot of the more traditional outdoor brands, their core market is overwhelmingly female so they really do cut much better and fit better for female shapes. I was at a clicker training demo for horses on Saturday and was actually thinking this - looking at most of the women there, they were warm and snuggly but looked great, wearing brands like Harry Hall and a few others. Have a browse at some of the equestrian websites like Ride-away for ideas - some really nice jackets etc.

Some of those big thick welly socks, scarf, gloves, waterproof trousers, and the all important ear muffs. grin

HoneyDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 13:28:59

I have a very sexy assortment of 99 pence welly socks. Good heeled wellies. I tend to alternate between two pairs of jeans that get washed when the dried mud has made them rigid blush and a manky Craghoppers Fleece that has big zipped pockets for treats, poo bags, whistles, torches and tennis balls. This gets washed when the smell of dead badger is over powering blush blush

When it is mega inclement I have a proper Navy Flight Jacket (thank you boys wink), complete with bum warmer that can withstand a hurricaine.

It's really not a good look.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 01-Nov-12 13:44:22

Wonderful fabulous moonson marketing waterproof trousers and long sleeved parlour top with lovely jack wolf skin fleece hat.

RedwingWinter Thu 01-Nov-12 15:42:04

I have a harris tweed jacket that is one of my best ever Brora sale purchases. Harris tweed is waterproof so it's great in all weathers. I have a waterproof raincoat that I wear instead on really wet days though as it's longer. Then jeans and waterproof walking boots.

vampirestakeknickers Thu 01-Nov-12 17:10:38

I used to use a full length Barbour duster coat, but found it was like a sail in high winds, and I prefer to walk in the open (ie on the Downs) when it's very windy - as I was missed by inches by a falling branch as a girl walking through the woods and now have The Fear. The duster coat is still on the hook though, may use it tomorrow if it's like Wednesday was again. It does take about a year to dry off and the pockets aren't waterproof so you get soggy treat/sweetie/cigs issues. But definitely looks better than the manky fleece/waterproof walking coat combo.

Honey I trust the aroma of Dead Badger is from contact with rolling dogs and not you personally grin

HoneyDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 17:19:15

I personally don't smell like a zombie badger, no. But that unifye combination of overly affectionate dogs, slobber, various stinky treats, and various splatters of countryside make for a rather distinctive eau de road kill odour. grin

Lara2 Thu 01-Nov-12 17:54:58

I walk my hounds at 5am everyday so glamour truly isn't on the agenda! smile In the winter (and the dark) I just pull on waterproof trousers, an oiled Australian stockmans coat that was my mums, hat, scarf, gloves, ear muffs - on top of my pj's!! smile In the summer I do make a concession to the light and put on proper clothes! smile

charlearose Thu 01-Nov-12 18:15:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wildfig Thu 01-Nov-12 18:18:43

I have a Lands End down jacket with a furry hood for winter, and a Lands End gilet with hood for spring/autumn. Summer was always the problem season for me, presenting the issue of how to carry poo bags/treats/keys/phone/leads/scrumped apples, etc, without a jacket or a bumbag... until I was given a lightweight photographer's gilet thing with about a million little pockets and clips, which can be flung over a t-shirt without feeling hot or bulky. It's been a really useful addition to my dog-walking wardrobe, plus it makes me look as if I'm off to walk dogs in a war zone.

V interested in the footwear recommendations, though. My basic men's Le Chameaus have just bitten the dust after 5 years' daily use, so am weighing up the neoprene Le Chameaus, vs a pair of Dubarry Galways or whatever that much cheaper version were that someone recommended recently. It's the eternal Doghouse dilemma...

WitchOfEndor Thu 01-Nov-12 18:25:29

For bad weather I use waterproof trousers over jeans and a knee length warm coat with walking boots. For really filthy weather I use the same coat, ski trousers, fleece balaclava ( it's truly a wonderful thing ) and snow boots. I don't like the cold but I love my Labrador!

Inthepotty Thu 01-Nov-12 19:26:32

You need layers! Vest on, long sleeve top, fleece or 2! then waterproof. I've worn my barbour for the last 6 years, keeps the wind out but does need a re wax every so often. Tight hood that I pull right round my face. Proper wool or cashmere scarf, attractive waterproof trousers (mine are boys age 11-12 so are a bit short but get shoved in my wellies anyway) You can only see the top half of my face by the time I'm done. Even lots of pairs of socks equal cold numb feet so I've just invested in a pair of fur lined le chameau wellies. They are top knobs.

Scuttle massive respect to your ability to get your grunds out in wet weather, spent half an hour coaxing little whip into the garden this am as there was a DRIZZLE!!

vampirestakeknickers Thu 01-Nov-12 19:55:30

I've got an incurable roller on the books atm, he's a lovely black lab but he comes back stinky at least once a week. And his other idiosyncracy is that he won't HUP back in the car at the end. He'll hup straight in no problem when I go to collect him, but he refuses to believe that his hour is up afterwards and I often have to lift him in. Dripping wet virtually every time and stinking to high heaven fairly regularly. Another point against the Stockman's coat, like all Barbours they're pretty well unwashable.

TheCunnyFuntWearingAPoppy Thu 01-Nov-12 20:58:22

I wear jeans, heat holders (2.5 tog socks, fab!), waterproof walking boots, a t-shirt, an old maternity hoody or a Next mens snuggly jacket thingy I stole off DP and a Regatta waterproof jacket. I have an awesome £6 hat I bought from tesco, can't think what make it is, and I have a £1.50 pair of gloves which are ok.

My friend puts her dogs bagged up poo in her pocket, and today, she found yesterdays poo in there shock

ImperialStateKnickers Thu 01-Nov-12 22:20:02

<boak> CunnyFunt

Scuttlebutter Thu 01-Nov-12 22:22:07

inthepotty it's hard work grin
They put their brakes on, will even jump back into the car when we arrrive at the park car park and make it very, very clear that it's not fair. It is like going for a walk with a stroppy teenager. "S'not fair, I didn't ask to be born, why are we going for this stupid walk anyway? I hate you, grumble, grumble, I'll die of Rain Fever and then you'll be sorry" This continues till we get back to the car or we see a squirrel - then I'm forgiven grin

DH has just had to wrestle all four out into the garden for last wee of the evening - cue comedy greased lightning grund dashing back to safety of sofa before weeing, DH juggling queue of miserable hounds by back door and then chasing recalcitrant hound round living room and out into the night.

We saw a Lab this morning at the park doing normal happy dog stuff - chasing a ball and in the process skidding through a very deep puddle. You could see the horror on the hounds' faces - both at ball chasing (so undignified - no greyhound ever would!) and then wincing at the puddle. Highly entertaining.

Scuttlebutter Thu 01-Nov-12 22:24:12

Cunny, that's just so gross. envy < vom emoticon

ImperialStateKnickers Thu 01-Nov-12 22:25:29

None of the Labs merely 'skid through puddles'. Oh no, they actively seek them out and wallow in them. The two whippets if they happen to be out on the same walk, are patently disgusted by this. The spaniels oth think it's a great idea and join in.

I love my job. Honest.

HoneyDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 22:25:52

Nothing like a bag of steaming poo to keep your hands warm in winter though grin

AdoraBell Fri 02-Nov-12 02:03:51

I use track suit type bottoms and trainers. We don't walk in mud here, (dry climate) but I would possibly switch to my walking, as in trekking, shoes for mud.

Inthepotty Sat 03-Nov-12 10:22:39

Know exactly what you mean by the 'face of horror' we met lots of other dogs yesterday and my boy was having whale of a time in the mud/sand/watery mush playing kiss chase with a little terrier. Whippy girl stood behind looking at them as if to say "the bloody heathens, absolutely no chuffing way I'm getting my coat dirty" then leaping out of the way anytime a dog brushed past her...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now