Talk

Advanced search

Type of food?

(8 Posts)
Iteotwawki Wed 31-Oct-12 22:21:55

Advice from all welcomed please.

We have a new puppy! He's being fed Purina Puppy Chow as that's what he was fed before, but we've been advised by someone that its bad for dogs longer term because of the maize/grain content. They've advised a different brand which is mostly animal protein, egg, some oils but grain free. They also advised mixing with some mashed potato to give veggies (apparently the dog would eat the stomach contents of its prey in the wild for this?) and said that with the different food, the poo would become much smaller in amount (once a day if that) which was better for them.

So. Is this person a loon or is there a grain of truth in it? He's got an obvious bias, his shop sells the grain free feed at a suitably high price per kilo.

SpicyPear Wed 31-Oct-12 22:31:33

Which food is he recommending? The once a day poo sounds a bit optimistic.

Iteotwawki Thu 01-Nov-12 01:35:09

The 2 main brands are "Taste of the Wild" and "NutraGold".

Don't dogs have problems with anal glands if they only poo once a day?

vjg13 Thu 01-Nov-12 08:38:25

I changed my dogs onto Arden Grange and found they do smaller firmer poos. Not one a day but they are lurchers and have two meals.

SpicyPear Thu 01-Nov-12 17:15:35

I've had a look and they do look like good foods, particularly TOTW. I feed Orijen, which is similar to TOTW and grain free. SpicyDog is regularly complimented on her coat and appearance, which is quite impressive given she is a badly bred rescue staffy x, not a beautiful pedigree! She poos usually twice a day and it's solid.

I had a look at the Purina ingredients and it really is a very low quality kibble, full of corn filler and dubious meat derivatives. I would definitely change it but there are some good mid-range options if you don't want to go for high end completely grain free.

Inthepotty Thu 01-Nov-12 20:08:12

My dog only goes once a day. 7.30 am sharp!! Fed Burns Alert.

Iteotwawki Mon 05-Nov-12 06:47:53

Thank you - he's eating about 1.5 cups a day total (at 8 weeks) so think I'll look at TOTW. Not sure what I'll do with the 25kg of puppy chow I have currently though!

SpicyPear Mon 05-Nov-12 17:16:50

If you have a local rescue they might appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now