Talk

Advanced search

when or how often should you bathe your dog?

(21 Posts)
WTFwasthat Wed 31-Oct-12 21:01:00

Not sure if this is a weekly event or on a need to do basis! pup does not need a bath imo but just wondering smile

MothershipG Wed 31-Oct-12 21:06:12

Absolutely not! If the dog isn't dirty or smelly, brush regularly, depending on coat type and get your puppy used to having all of him touched and handled, but only bath when required.

My boys seldom need a bath but my girlie gets them more frequently as she has a fondness for rolling in fox poo! shock

WTFwasthat Wed 31-Oct-12 21:15:58

nice! As Max has not been out yet (2nd jab friday) he is not at all dirty! Ok good. As and when then basically?

vintageviolets Wed 31-Oct-12 21:33:28

We use Shampoo & Conditioner from www.scruffychops.com
Ours have a bath about every 12 weeks.

Blackpuddingbertha Wed 31-Oct-12 21:34:17

I spot clean with the hosepipe when needed. First proper bath happened last week (puppy nearly 6 months old) as she was starting to get a bit wiffy. She gets brushed most nights though and is happy to be groomed, hosed or bathed which is important.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Wed 31-Oct-12 21:36:14

Only bath mine when they need it. Usually fox shit related.

I think they have had one bath each this year. Little old dog is especially keen on fox/badger poo so sometimes she gets bathed a couple of times a month, then not for 6m. But you don't need to bath them routinely.

And if one day they come in smelling like a rotting corpse - they found good poo to roll in.

LST Wed 31-Oct-12 21:38:09

My collie bathes most weeks. He rolls in shit, mud, piss and dead animal carcasses most weekends. We have a baby too so I'd prefer to have him clean.

If he isn't in need I don't though.

I bath my dog when he starts to offend me. This ranges between every two months or so to every few weeks. During the summer, I tend to hose him down in the garden if he's muddy or let him take a swim in a pond to freshen up. I have a dog with anal gland issues, though, so I have no idea how often a dog who's arse doesn't leak needs washing.

zillyzilly Wed 31-Oct-12 21:39:27

As and when for our three. smile Also usu to do with fox poo.

Floralnomad Wed 31-Oct-12 21:41:13

Mine goes to the dog groomers every few months for a bath and clip and I wash as and when needed in between , which in our case means washing bits of him,mainly legs and belly several times a week. He wallows like a hippo in any large puddle he finds and they usually stink!

SpicyPear Wed 31-Oct-12 21:56:19

I do as and when needed - if she's muddy or getting a bit stinky. It's not good for them to wash too much as it strips the oils from their coat.

Lara2 Thu 01-Nov-12 18:01:19

I never bathe the hounds, they swim in the sea and a salt water lake everyday. They get hosed down and wiped with Lidl's fragranced babywipes when they roll in fox poo. I found that the type of food they get affects how doggy they smell too. I feed them Burns and that helps keep them less doggy smelling.

Readyisknitting Thu 01-Nov-12 19:17:12

Mine gets walked through a stream every walk, after playing in muddy puddles smile

Hose down with whatever is to hand whenever she finds fox poo grin

Isandri Thu 01-Nov-12 21:06:13

My elderly dog has sensitive skin and gets flare ups if he is dirty or has been washed in the wrong shampoo. When he came to us he had to have a bath once a week. Now after 4 months of living with us he starts to get itchy skin after 4 weeks with no bath. If he jumps in a stream or gets muddy he gets itchy skin after 48 hours.

ScabbyColdCrustyCatPuss Thu 01-Nov-12 21:35:47

You have to bath them? hmm

Happydaze Fri 02-Nov-12 08:27:03

My little boy is a white terrier, gets absolutely filthy when out walking, running, rolling around in mud...

But, by the time we have walked home he seems to have magically self cleaned, tis amazing! I always think he'll have to a bath when we get back but by the time we get back there's no need! Only if he's really stinky will he get the pampering treatment!

TheCunnyFuntWearingAPoppy Fri 02-Nov-12 10:32:20

I have had my dog since the end of january, and he has had 1 bath. And that was only because we were going to a show and I wanted him to look his best as I showed him. It paid off, he won 4th place in the black greyhound dogs class grin

Isandri Sat 03-Nov-12 16:25:01

Oh I forgot to say earlier if my dog gets wet or muddy outside we give him a quick hose down in the shower/bath with plain water. If he starts to itch over the next 48 hours he gets a proper wash. At the moment though he can last 4-6 weeks before his skin gets sore and itchy. We're only washing him with his special shampoo if he needs it.

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 04-Nov-12 21:21:11

They don't need bathing unless they smell worse than you can stand or they have rolled in something unspeakable and unhygienic which you don't want smearing all over you house (yes fox shit loving dog of mine, I'm looking at you!)
Peppa is now 21 months and until moving to our current location age 6 months never needed or had a bath. Since she has discovered the joys of fox poo however, she has a bath on average twice a week when she gets down and dirty in the vile stuff before I can stop her.
Just make sure you use the mildest dog shampoo you can.
She does have her paws washed regularly in winter when she has been rearranging the mud in the garden, but that's just plain warm water in a bowl with an old towel to dry.

Spamspamspam Mon 05-Nov-12 19:13:24

Mine gets showered almost daily....

Every single time she goes out walking she rolls in fox poo - every single time honestly smile and that stuff bloody stinks and needs properly shampooing to get rid of the smell.

She is a long wire haired terrier who also gets poo stuck to her back end fur on a regular basis and also dives into the thickest blackest mud puddles you can find which never just drops off. I regularly look after a short haired bulldog and he also dives into the same black puddles but somehow the mud just falls off him whereas it sticks and doesn't dry on my girl's fur. She is also welcome around the house anywhere but not with a pooey bum, fox shit all over her and thick black mud on her!

It's never bothered her, she is never itchy or has skin problems. I try and keep the shampooing to just the fox poo areas but I do shower her off after almost every walk - it drives me nuts and I could well do without it but I am not going to have her around the house like that!

EasyToEatTiger Mon 05-Nov-12 19:20:06

Usually some corpse of fox poo causes the distress of a wash with shampoo. Otherwise things can be brushed out and sheets can be changed. The dogs do get hosed down when they are absolutely filthy unless the hosepipe is frozen or there is a hosepipe ban.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now