Talk

Advanced search

Coughing puppy

(6 Posts)
absolutmum Wed 31-Oct-12 20:21:33

Our 6 month old Labrador cross puppy has developed a cough. I have been looking on-line and think it's probably kennel cough.
Should I take her to the vet? She isn't distressed, just has a cough and is occasionally coughing up some foamy phlegm. Is there any treatment that would work?
Thanks

Floralnomad Wed 31-Oct-12 20:25:34

Def get to a vet , kennel cough usually needs antibiotics and is also very contagious . Are you sure she hasn't eaten something , my dog had severe kennel cough and I never saw any frothy sputum .

Littlemisspoorly Wed 31-Oct-12 20:27:02

Yes. There's a lot of kennel cough about at the moment. Leave her in the car and let the vet come out to her. It's best to be safe as it can affect young/old dogs worse.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 31-Oct-12 20:48:22

Hmm kennel cough is mainly caused by viruses. Best practices is not to give antibiotics to young healthy animals who are well in themselves.

absolutmum Sat 03-Nov-12 16:15:33

Took the Devil Dog to the vets. Although she has a cough, she is still very lively and doesn't have a temperature. Vet said if she gets worse come back for antibiotics but not necessary at the moment.
Vet rang me later, she had spoken to one of the senior vets who suggested that D Dog might have lung worm so dose her up with Advocate. That sort of makes more sense as she has been know to crunch a snail if we aren't quick enough to take it from her.
Hopefully she will start to improve and we can return to training classes!

Littlemisspoorly Sat 03-Nov-12 21:05:23

Sound good then. Isn't Advocate that yellow boozy drink they use to make snowballs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now