Talk

Advanced search

Puppy has had his nose bitten ... advise

(6 Posts)
wizzler Tue 30-Oct-12 15:25:14

DH has just callled for advice

Puppy ( 10 months) has just had his nose bitten by another dog. His poor little nose is bleeding ...( I havent seen it .. DH is in charge!)

What should DH do?... I understand its only bleeding a bit... I advised to go to the vet... am I being PFD.... WWYD ?

Do dogs have a risk of tetanus ?!

I agreed to ask the wise ones on Mumsnet and accept your advice.

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 30-Oct-12 15:39:43

I only bother vets if it is bleeding profusely or if you can see bone/muscle, otherwise I clean it with cooled, boiled water and dress it if appropriate.

For a scratched nose I'd just clean it and keep an eye on it.

ditavonteesed Tue 30-Oct-12 15:41:43

bathe it in salt water and like dooin says keep an eye on it for any signs of infection.

wizzler Tue 30-Oct-12 15:57:01

Thanks everyone... feel much more confident dealing with DC then DD!

HoneyDragon Tue 30-Oct-12 16:05:03

My old girl had her nose bitten when away with her working. It's a bit scary as they bleed so much. I tied a scarf round her as dcs were present even though I was a 100% certain she wouldn't snap, I'd be fool to risk it with an injured dog. I bathed with salt water.

When I called the vet he said that's what he would have done / advised and to monitor it for 48 hours, and no swimming or letting her stick her nose in interesting things. smile

I was astonished at how quickly it healed as it was quite a deep tear.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 30-Oct-12 16:13:52

Dogs are not ordinarily at risk of tetanus. There are a exceptions on farms where we know tetanus exists in the soil, having seen clinical cases on those farms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now