Talk

Advanced search

Very elderly dog going to the vet for the last time

(20 Posts)
MissDrake Tue 30-Oct-12 11:16:11

Have made an appointment for our 16+ year old beardie to be put to sleep this afternoon and although I know it's finally time I am heartbroken and can't stop crying. I cried while making the appointment and don't know how I am going to get through this afternoon.
His eyesight and hearing are failing, this week he has started to struggle to get himself up and down and his incontinance is really becoming unbearable.
Can someone tell me what happens? Will he literally just go to sleep? Will they keep him after? ( I have nowhere suitable to bury him)
I don't want to go. sad

MissDrake Tue 30-Oct-12 11:34:48

Anyone?

SheilaWheeler Tue 30-Oct-12 11:42:42

I wasn't able to be with my old boy when he was pts - I still cry about that - but I have been there for two cats.

Both times the vet has taken time to calmly and clearly explain what will happen. He settled the cat calmly on a fluffy blanket, give him a quick injection and the cat went to 'sleep'. No struggling or pain, just relaxed.

After the collie was pts I was given the option of cremation and if I would like his ashes back. I chose to have his ashes and they are still in a box in my bedroom so we have a chat!

It is heartbreaking but you know if it is for the best.

tipsycat Tue 30-Oct-12 11:46:25

Hi MissDrake, so sorry you're going through this. We had our 13+ labrador put to sleep earlier this year, when his back legs gave up and he couldn't walk. We asked the vet to come and do it at our house because our dog always hated going to the vets, and he hated car journeys. The vet and and an assistant came, and were lovely. We all stroked him and said goodbye. We had the choice to stay in the room while they injected him, or leave. Myself and the Dcs left the room, DH stayed with him. He said it was fine, not distressing to watch. You can choose to take the body home, or they can arrange for him to be cremated. You know when it's time to let them go, be brave sad

ClaimedByMe Tue 30-Oct-12 11:47:43

I have no idea what happens in the vets room, I have never been brave enough to take them on the last visit but my vets also offers the cremation and you get the ashes back in a urn which is what I have chosen to do.

Will be thinking of you this afternoon xx

cathpip Tue 30-Oct-12 11:52:57

Oh i am in tears with you, i had to do exactly the same as you last year. The vet will show you into a room and when ready will shave a little fur of a leg so a vein (veterinary nurse will help) is visible they will then administer an injection that will make him fall asleep and then administer the euthanasia injection its all very calm, painless and quick. I left my old boy there and made payment over the phone later that day so that i did not have to stay longer than necessary. We have his ashes and they are scattered on his fave walk along with his litter brothers (its now known as jake and bryns walk). I still miss both my boys and they have been gone 1 and 3 years, hope all goes well and i will be thinking of you. xx

hattifattner Tue 30-Oct-12 11:53:30

I stayed with my old girl when she was PTS in March. It was very peaceful....they shaved her arm and left us to say our goodbyes, then injected her with an anaesthetic to make her go to sleep. SHe harrumphed as she dropped off. Then they injected the other stuff to stop her heart. I cried buckets for 2 days and miss her even now. I decided not to do the whole ashes thing, although I wish I had now, for my sons sake, as he wanted to scatter her ashes. I just told him they had scattered her in the woods behind the vets, and he was happy with that.

Shalloween Tue 30-Oct-12 11:58:03

Oh MissDrake, I'm so sorry for you. It sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing by your old boy. What a life he must have had with such love and care from you!

The vet will have a nurse with her and will give your dog an injection that is just like all the other injections he's ever had. It'll be an overdose of anaesthetic, he won't feel a thing and he will be asleep and at peace within seconds, honestly, before you can count to 10. You will be able to stay with him and cuddle him right up to the end. Your vet will keep him if you wish, so you don't have to worry about that.

I wish I could come with you and hold your hand. You're doing the right thing!

MissDrake Tue 30-Oct-12 12:07:28

Thank you everyone, you are all so kind. I feel so mercenary. I've been putting it off and putting it off, hoping I would come down one morning and he would be gone in his sleep, so I wouldn't have to make the decision. sad

LST Tue 30-Oct-12 12:47:58

I was there when we had my childhood best friend (bestest staffy in the world) pts. It was so heartbreaking. I held his paw and stroked his head. I give him a kiss on the nose and he just shut his eyes sad I'm actually filling up now sad

We have him in a little wooden box looking out over the garden at my DM's house.

mollymole Tue 30-Oct-12 12:52:38

I had to have my darling cat PTS last week and assure that everything will be really calm and peaceful, with NO pain or suffering at all. If you do not want to take him back home the Vet will deal with the bodyfor you and you can, if you wish, have the ashes back (although return of the ashes does cost more). You will also have the choice of staying with him to the end, or having the vet and nurse stay with him.

I am holding your hand.

Scuttlebutter Tue 30-Oct-12 13:52:27

I am so, so sorry. sad You could also think about having him PTS at home which we were lucky enough to be able to do with one of ours earlier this year.

We've gone through this twice this year, and both times it was incredibly peaceful. The vet and nurse will explain everything to you and you will have the option to stay. Afterwards, they can offer cremation and if you like, the return of the ashes. These come back a couple of days later in a little pot, which you can then deal with when you are ready - for instance you could scatter them at your dog's favourite beach or bury in the garden under a special tree or shrub.

Wishing you all the best.

Principality Tue 30-Oct-12 14:06:51

I've had a little cry reading all these posts.

Ddog1 was pts in September. It was such a hard decision to make, particularly as he was only 4.5.

The vet and nurse came to our house. We all had a cry and I stayed. He had had a lot of spinal problems, three major ops and masses of physio and hydro. Everyone at the vets knew him well.

We kept him at home and buried him in the garden next to his and dc's "den" in the garden so he can watch over them play. sob

The vet sent us a sympathy card later that week with a very kind personal msg.

Good luck for you and your boy. you know if it is the right thing to do. Very easy for him, hard for you.

<non mn hug>

Actuallylookingok Tue 30-Oct-12 17:36:55

MissDrake, I hope you are ok. You are doing the best thing you can for him. You've looked after him all his life and you are making sure he goes with dignity and with peace, so you are looking after him right to the end. Have a good cry and remember , all good dogs (and quite a few naughty ones) go to heaven.

MissDrake Tue 30-Oct-12 17:53:17

I'm back. The decision to go and the taking him there was actually worse than the pts in the end. He was already asleep before she gave him the injection. I feel so sad but also a bit relieved that its done this way, quietly and with dignity. I couldn't have born watching him in pain.
Thank you for your support today, it has been a comfort to me.

straighttohellymelly Tue 30-Oct-12 17:57:44

I'm so sorry you have lost your dog. Mine was pts at Easter and there is a big gaping terrier shaped hole in our house now.

Mintyy Tue 30-Oct-12 18:03:08

Am so very sorry to hear about your dog's last day, but it does sound as though he had very many happy and fun-filled days with you in his long, long life. Sending you my most heartfelt sympathies as another bereaved pet owner today (although mine was only a 2 year old guinea pig).

Moomoomie Tue 30-Oct-12 18:40:39

I am so sorry. Our wonderful 16 year old border collie was PTS last summer, it was so peaceful for her. It was also the last kind thing we can do for our pets.
Look after yourself.

Happydaze Tue 30-Oct-12 18:59:27

Thinking of you this evening, hope you can find comfort in the happy memories you have of your boy, it's so hard to say goodbye x

Lolly7 Tue 30-Oct-12 19:27:54

Sorry to hear about your sad loss MissDrake. sad

www.paws.com.au/Poems/PetsPrayer.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now