Talk

Advanced search

Something really shocked me on Saturday.

(21 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Mon 29-Oct-12 19:05:50

I was doing a meet and greet with my local greyhound rescue, and this elderly couple came up for a chat and they were telling me that they'd love a greyhound but their Labradoodle wouldn't like one.

They were telling me that they were out walking one day and they saw someone with a Cockapoo, they liked the look of it so they looked in the paper and saw an advert for Labradoodle puppies, so they went and had a look and came home with one the very same day! They said they were most surprised when he didn't stop growing and ended up being absolutely enormous.

It just shocks and saddens me that people can be so bloody stupid and naive that they don't even research anything about the "breed" they are buying! I did a fair amount of research before I even enquired about a rescue greyhound, including starting threads on here.

Why do people do this? sad

SpicyPear Mon 29-Oct-12 19:28:48

I can't understand it. I've just adopted a Jack Russell/Whippet puppy and had precisely three days to manically research both breeds to make sure I was prepared for what I might end up with temperament and size wise. Seeing how he turns out will be part of the fun smile.

But to actually go out and spend large amounts of cash on a puppy that you've no idea about... madness. If you are into lucky dip, why not go and find a little rescue mongrel and stop fuelling demand for these intentional crosses?

LaCiccolina Mon 29-Oct-12 19:35:14

Posting back to original question:

Maybe they thought a cocker spaniel and a small poodle, not necessarily unreasonable. Doubt hey realised could be the bigger version! Some poodles tiny, some massive. Would be totally different.

Give em a break, just made a mistake!

LaCiccolina Mon 29-Oct-12 19:37:04

Even if a labradoo bet they thought smaller genes would kick in, not the (perhaps a bit idiotically) larger?

HoneyDragon Mon 29-Oct-12 19:46:17

But Poodles are big too confused. Unless they specified it was a small poodle?

TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Mon 29-Oct-12 19:53:15

They may be forgiven if the names were similar, but Labradoodle and Cockapoo are totally different! I have no idea how they got confused!

HoneyDragon Mon 29-Oct-12 20:17:37

<<humph>> the only nice Labradoodles I know are the ones on Mumsnet sad

In My locality

Exhibit a. Is regularly seen out with doodle and cocka something. Likes to pick them up and kiss them and spin them round when walking them because he loves them sooooo much. He doesn't love them enough to pick up their shit though hmm

Exhibit b. posted on Fb for a home for her doodle. He had elbow dysplacia and wouldn't fit in with their family. She got slated.

Exhibit C. Wanted to know why I got a Lab, when they are a bit "blah" and "everyone has one"

I am thankful to mnet for proving they do have normal owners.

Whistlingwaves Mon 29-Oct-12 20:21:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LST Mon 29-Oct-12 20:25:13

I got my border collie from a farm. My name used to have one and we brought books and researched. I wanted a dog to walk its legs off and that's why we got a collie. He's the best choice I've ever made. I don't want a pedigree dog and I wanted a puppy.

kid Mon 29-Oct-12 20:25:17

I had only one day notice to read up on my puppy (springer spaniel). We went to view him the next day and brought him home with us. Luckily for him (and us), we knew he was likely to be a bit mental and he settled in fine with us.
Sadly, that puppy is no longer with us.

I have since got another springer but knew more what I was letting myself in for. I have never regretted getting him and had a good idea of his temperament and size.

I think buying a crossbreed can be tricky as you don't really know how the adult dog will turn out. So, you really do need to do lots of research to know all you can about both breeds.

LST Mon 29-Oct-12 20:26:23

Name = nan

digerd Mon 29-Oct-12 20:27:44

I know all the breeds of dogs and I had no idea what these crosses were.

and with my eyes at my riper age, could have quickly seen Cockapoo as a Cockatoo.
Labs are a big and bulky dog and a standard poodle tall and lean, but with cross very young pups, it is not easy to predict, how they will look as an adult.

The breeder should have explained this to prospective buyers.

With Cockapoos, I hope the middle sized poodle would be the other breed for anatomical health reasons.

Woozley Mon 29-Oct-12 20:30:05

I take it people cross poodles with other dogs as they have a nice temperament but look ridiculous a bit odd.

digerd Mon 29-Oct-12 20:33:05

ps, There are 3 sizes of poodle
Standard, medium/middle, and miniture

digerd Mon 29-Oct-12 20:35:54

Poodles only look odd if their coats are given the lion look which they have for the dog shows. Odd to some people but elegant in the show ring.

MrsClown1 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:38:17

I have a toy poodle. They only look odd if people have their hair cut that way (IMO). Mine just has long curly hair and looks really cute. I do know what you mean though Woozley. To be honest I am not sure if all this interbreeding is a good idea but I dont know.

With regard to not researching a breed before deciding what to get, some people are stupid and dont think of the consequences of their ignorance. Infact, animal rescue centres are full of it. Sometimes, I cant understand people at all

Heavensmells Mon 29-Oct-12 20:47:08

Spicypear I had a Jack Russell/whippet cross when I was growing up. He was fab. He ran very fast though! smile

Woozley Mon 29-Oct-12 20:53:13

I think sadly some people just see pets as another accessory. I have come round with poodles a bit as they are supposed to be very nice dogs, but I don't like to see over groomed dogs in the show style in general.

I like dogs that look wolfish or who might rescue you from the snow or a river. All the ones that are hideously expensive to both buy and keep, need tons of food and exercise and would probably eat the cats or make them move out for good. So I'm content to borrow my parents and IL's for a week or so at a time for now smile

SpicyPear Mon 29-Oct-12 21:54:33

He's 11 weeks tomorrow Heaven, can already outrun me around the house and is getting visibly leggier every hour or so grin

AgathaFusty Tue 30-Oct-12 09:02:39

Woozley - "I take it people cross poodles with other dogs as they have a nice temperament but look ridiculous a bit odd. " This is the biggest myth and probably a large part of the reason why these cross-breed dogs are so popular. Poodles look unusual when given unusual clips. However, their fur does actually grow all over them, just like with other dogs, so if clipped to the same length all over, they don't have weird shaved areas (muzzle/feet/tail base traditionally).

If people only realised this, I'm sure that less of them would part with hundreds of pounds for a cross-breed that is unpredictable in appearance, and will most likely moult even though so many are sold as "hypo-allergenic".

HesAwayAgain Tue 30-Oct-12 09:11:52

Digerd
You're right with 3 poodle sizes, but they're standard, miniature and toy.

Woozley
Poodle crosses are often to try to achieve the non-shedding/non-allergenic fur of the poodle. Doesn't happen that way every time. Hence why so many land up in rescue. Poodles are very bright dogs too (that's why you see them in the circus).

TheCunnyFunt
Wonder how they knew their labradoodle wouldn't like a greyhound? Sounds a smidge like that their labradoodle is the head of that house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now