Talk

Advanced search

Kennel Cough

(8 Posts)
JethroTull Sun 28-Oct-12 18:19:04

Our boxer puppy has caught Kennel Cough despite being vaccinated. We've been given some antibiotics but does anyone have any tips for making him feel better? He's looking very sorry for himself. sad

EasyToEatTiger Sun 28-Oct-12 19:03:06

Poor pup. I have heard about people giving their dogs cough mixture. I haven't tried it myself, and wouldn't without proper advice. I'm sure he will get better soon.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 28-Oct-12 19:13:28

Steamy bathrooms are very good.

Floralnomad Sun 28-Oct-12 19:18:09

Ours had the Battersea strain of kennel cough when we got him and after 2 courses of antibiotics it cleared and then a month later got it again and had to have more antibiotics. A friend recommended children's Tixylix cough syrup and after I'd checked with the vet he got through several bottles of the stuff. He loved it and t least I felt like I was helping.

JethroTull Sun 28-Oct-12 20:51:13

Thanks. I feel so sorry for him. He keeps coughing and then looking at me with his big sad eyes.

AlmostAHipster Sun 28-Oct-12 20:56:04

My boy's had it twice, despite being vaccinated and it's awful. Last time, the vet told me to give him children's Benylin (but not to tell the chemist it was for a dog) and it did help a bit but it was the antibiotics that sorted it out. I hope your hound gets well soon.

Floralnomad Sun 28-Oct-12 21:00:46

It's awful . Sadly my dog has been left with tracheal scarring so we have to be very careful about harnesses and collars as if you put any pressure on his throat he sounds like he's going to die. He's only two ,so quite sad really

kid Sun 28-Oct-12 21:07:25

My dog has had it twice. The first time, the vet gave him some antibiotics and they told me if he got it again, i could use Benylin if he got it again.
He did get it a few months later so I gave him the Benylin and he was fine after a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now