Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing the right thing?

(6 Posts)
permaquandry Sun 28-Oct-12 07:13:34

Girl pup, 10 1/2 weeks old. Had her since 7 1/2 weeks. Well bred, pedigree mini schnauzer. She is lovely but the biting is horrendous. She doesn't respond to 'no' and if you try to ignore her and walk away, she just chases and grabs into your leg or foot, it really hurts, she's piercing skin now.

I play with her lots and offer her a toy each time she bites but its getting really bad. It is only in play or affection tho my husb is convinced she was being aggressive last night and attacked him?! My dd (7) agreed with him but I think she was just over-excited (I didn't see this).

Since getting up with this morn I have walked out and left her in kitchen each and every single time she has bitten about 15 times in five minutes.

I will go on like this until she stops biting. She is a little better each time I go back but then reverts to biting again.

Am I doing this right and what should I do when I go back, give her a stroke or play with her?

Help appreciated, thanks.

Lougle Sun 28-Oct-12 07:16:58

She sounds like she's over stimulated. She's teeny tiny smile

When you offer the toy, what do you do then? Do you ignore her?

permaquandry Sun 28-Oct-12 07:41:15

When I give her the toy to chew, I stay with her and stroke her to show her that she will get attention if she chews the 'right' object.

She's like lightening tho and just goes back to nipping you, clothes etc.

How do I do her being over stimulated? We have a generally calm household and not try to excite her too much, she just gets there all by herself!

tabulahrasa Sun 28-Oct-12 09:26:01

Go on the puppy thread, there's a couple of us with similar behaving puppies... and yep a wee time out without access to you is a good idea.

I don't give mine loads of attention after a time out, I mean I don't ignore him, but I don't go overboard either, partly because I count that as a sort of reset, right lets start that again and you try to behave how I want this time and partly because that would excite him all over again.

Puppies that age can display what would be aggressive behaviour in an adult dog - but it's just the same as an overtired overstimulated toddler lashing out during a tantrum...

digerd Sun 28-Oct-12 19:41:17

When litter siblings are playing with eachother, and one hurts the other, the hurt puppy cries out, and the sibling then knows that is inappropriate and stops. Have you voiced your inacceptance of her biting you at all - you must make it clear to her.? Like a sharp OWH, with a sharp finger point at her and suitable telling off glare in your eyes. That should suffice. If it doesn't, then calm grabbing hold of the scruff of the neck lifting her up to eye level and a slight shake. That is what the Alpha male in the pack would do to discipline his offpring, when needed.
I have only experienced this in play and grabbing onto trouser legs at this age never biting into flesh for no apparent reason.

Floralnomad Sun 28-Oct-12 20:06:12

Please don't pick her up by the scruff of her neck and shake her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now