Talk

Advanced search

Help!!! Beahavioural advice needed ASAP, puppy submission weeing everywhere

(8 Posts)
Morrab Fri 26-Oct-12 17:15:41

My Dad smacked our 6 month old puppy yesterday, he is very big and heavy and jumped up at my Dad and got him in the balls, really hard. My dad shouted and hit him and our puppy peed all over the carpet and floor. He now pees literally whenever DH comes into the room (DH was sat next to my Dad) and we just don't know what to do, DH has tried giving him treats, sitting on teh floor next to him, taking him for walks and he seems ok but then does it again all over the floor and while he's walking along.

Cuebill Fri 26-Oct-12 17:37:44

Poor puppy. He was really pleased to see someone and was showing his affection and then got hurt because of it sad.

You will just have to ignore the weeing (your dad caused it so he will just have to clear it up without muttering a word to the puppy or using body language that the dog will be able to read).

It will take time for your puppy to trust your Dad again, he will have to be consistent in his training ignore bad behaviour and praise the good. It will take time but if you now use positive training methods you will get there quicker.

How are you going to teach your puppy to greet appropriately now?

tumbelena Sat 27-Oct-12 13:14:43

poor puppy. would your dad smack a child like that? what was he thinking? it's only a dog so wallop it? you have to patience with a puppy. are you sure it was a one off? if he is hitting pup then that will make him nervous and thas why your pup wary of men including your dh and peeing on floor. tell your dad not to smack your puppy ever again. do you go to puppy training classes?

CottageCheeseAndAppleSandwich Sat 27-Oct-12 19:03:27

Sounds like your dad needs behavioural advice.

colditz Sat 27-Oct-12 19:08:42

He's terrified. This will fade over time, but yr dh is going to have to be extra calm and extra quiet to ameliorate your puppy's feelings about men.

Rhinestone Sat 27-Oct-12 19:53:51

Does your dad always have trouble 'managing his anger' around people / creatures weaker than him? Bet he can 'manage' it alright around his boss / police officers etc.

Firstly ban your dad from the house for the foreseeable future and consult a behaviourist about this. Also depending on how hard puppy was hit (and where) you may need to take him to the vet for a check up.

I won't say any more re my views on your dad.

daisydotandgertie Sun 28-Oct-12 10:38:40

Jesus. How appalling. Your father needs to be away from your dog for a very, very long time.

In order to stop this developing into a long term problem, I think you should book a behaviourist to teach you how to get past this as fast, and as well as possible.

For the time being, encourage your DH to just drop treats at random without looking at your pup. Allow the dog to go to get them without any fuss or eye contact. Sit on the floor and throw treats some distance away - gradually decreasing as the pup builds in confidence.

Don't make any extra fuss of the dog, nor your normal getting on with the day behaviour. Carry on absolutely as normal and completely ignore any wee accidents - clean them up as neutrally as you possibly can.

Your dog is terrified of men because of what your father did. Do not reinforce this terror by reacting to it. Just make any interaction with men positive and non confrontational.

Your father, pain or no pain should not have done what he did and should therefore be footing the behaviourists bills, IMO.

digerd Sun 28-Oct-12 20:13:33

I had a female Dachshund, who was house trained, but when greeting people she would get so excited at 1 year-old she wet on the floor , but your poor puppy is doing it through fear , and that is a problem. At 9 months, a male dog will cock his leg up an erect object to pee, although my neutered niece's male dog does it in a crouch like a female, strangely. It disturbs me what your dad did, and hope puppy has not been injured, but think it is a psychological problem as doing it in the presence of male DH too which is very sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now