Talk

Advanced search

Collie/Wolfhound Cross

(8 Posts)
bubble2bubble Thu 25-Oct-12 17:05:45

There is one in the local sanctuary for rehoming, 2 years old - would we be mad to even consider it?
We have two spinger /collies, and 2 dds age 7 and 5 who have grown up with dogs
We also have three cats - are wolfhounds guaranteed to be cat killers?
Practically, asking anyone who has a dog this size, could this guy actually fit in the car with our other dogs ( big estate car admittedly)? or do we,as DH hopes, need a van?!
I phoned the sanctuary but they weren't very forthcoming and would prefer us to come in and see them. I really don't want to go unless I realistically think we can take this dog or I will cry for the rest of the year
He looks huge, but truly gorgeous. I imagine he may be difficult to home because of his size if nothing else - everyone around here seems to want little fluffy dogs.I have always loved big dogs but have no knowledge of wolfhounds so a bit nervous - any advice would be appreciated

tabulahrasa Thu 25-Oct-12 18:13:14

They've got a fairly high prey drive, so the cats could be an issue...but they might not be. (in the same way that some greyhounds are fine living with cats)

Dogs shouldn't be an issue, as a breed they're fine with other dogs, of course it'll depend on the individual dog though.

If he's anywhere near Wolfhound size I really think you might struggle to fit it in a car with other dogs...but there's quite a wide range between collie size and wolfhound size where he might be pretty big, but not humungous.

They're supposed to be very attached to people, but a bit independent - which I read to be massively affectionate, but with a the potential to just do what the want sometimes, lol.

That's all based on wistful research though - I don't have one.

bubble2bubble Thu 25-Oct-12 18:58:26

The sanctuary did say they were going to do a psychological assessment so should find out he's a hunter/ killer?
They also said he's happy in an enclosure with two females at the moment which is what we have
In the photo he was standing beside a man and was at the height of his waist. Then again, maybe it was a very small man..smile

tabulahrasa Thu 25-Oct-12 19:29:19

I don't think it's so much a killing problem as a chasing problem, if you see what I mean, in that something small ran past, I must chase it type way rather than, I hate cats, I must eat them...

If it was a short man and the dog can fold up, then maybe it could work? lol. Some tall leggy dogs do fold up small.

groovejet Fri 26-Oct-12 12:43:25

My next door neighbour has a cross that is believed to have wolfhound, collie and probably a couple of others mixed in. He stands to just over waist height to me and I am 5ft 6, so he isn't massive.

He isn't overly fussed by cats, tends to give a half hearted chase if ours go into their garden.

I have a big soft spot for him, he is always giving massive grins and he is rather comic, and he loves water. Most summers I hear next door shouting "no don't go in the pond!!" followed by a huge splash. grin

bubble2bubble Fri 26-Oct-12 14:31:12

Oh dear, looks like I might have to phone and see if he's still there then. Actually one of our dogs will occasionally chase the cats as well, given the opportunity, but just for play and not in a dangerous way and only if the are all bouncing around the garden. In the house if they meet a cat they tend to lick them all over unti the cat gets fed up and wanders off out of reach

Addledoo Sun 04-Nov-12 05:14:25

I had a collie-wolfhound cross and I have to say he was the best dog I have ever had. He was 28 inches at the shoulder and 80 lbs, so he wasn't overly big. I have to say he was the best of both worlds -- collie and wolfhound. He was uncannily smart, and incredibly friendly and gentle with people.

He was a bit of a rude boy at the dog park, though, because he loved to steal other dogs' toys. His chase instinct for kongs and balls was high, but I made an effort to train him to not chase wildlife. He ignored skunks, porcupines, rabbits, and coyotes, but he was an incorrigible horse teaser. He lived with a cat and never hurt him.

He had a high energy level, though, and I would wager that it would be typical of the mix. If you can't spend time exercising him (I did 2 hours a day with my boy) the dog might get bored and become destructive.

bubble2bubble Sun 04-Nov-12 11:53:48

As it turns out the sanctuary won't rehome to a family with under 12's and I suppose they have their reasons sad. I supected the mix could be amazing as you say. They did say he was high energy!

So we are adopting a pup next week - he looks like a lab but they think has a bit of husky/Samoyed as he is HUGE at an estimated 10/12 weeks, and his coat is a bit rough- so I'll probably be taking up running. smile
He was found as a stray so in quarantine until next week after his second set of jabs. Good thing we haven't replaced any of chewed furniture from 6 years ago...Very, very, excited

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now