Talk

Advanced search

Fleas, can a pre-jabs pup get them, if only been in garden and not near other animals?

(2 Posts)
permaquandry Wed 24-Oct-12 23:37:58

I guess the answer to this is yes, in theory, if there are rabbits, hedgehogs etc. however have boxed-off garden to prevent her escaping and a very small garden, so would see if an animal was already in there.

The reason I ask is at first vacc, she was too light to be deflead and vet said prob best to wait til next visit (tomo). However, she's been scratching a bit today, not a lot but more than usual.

Do pups scratch for other reasons or do we suspect fleas?

I would be gutted if she has as am currently fumigating house/kids due to threadworm....!

PrettyPrinceofDarkness Thu 25-Oct-12 09:12:49

If you look on her belly where the hair's finer you'll see evidence of fleas if she has them. Look for flea dirt, black grainy stuff, which looks a bit like dried mud. She could have them, but from what you've described I think you'd be extremely unlucky.

I feed my dogs csj food. It has a mix of herbs that's supposed to repell fleas and ticks. We've had one tick and no fleas in 3 years even though we lived in rural Derbyshire and now Yorkshire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now