Talk

Advanced search

is it possible to get a rescue dog if you work?

(14 Posts)
ggirl Tue 23-Oct-12 20:00:08

I am district nurse , so could maybe take it in car with me , but it would have to wait for me during visits etc, 30min usually
or when it's ready I could leave at home and come home for lunch

usually only work 3days/week

ideally want a rescue poodle or similar, have had dogs before but big ones

it's a pipedream isn't it?

rachmultiplemum Tue 23-Oct-12 20:09:32

No, not a pipe dream at all.

Most rescues are happy with their dogs being left for up to 4 hours at a time.

However, i would not leave the dog alone in your car because you are leaving your dog open to the risk of theft, and in the summer it only takes a matter of minutes for your dog to be 'cooked'.

ggirl Tue 23-Oct-12 20:12:50

god yes forgot about summer ..doh!

hmm 4 hrs ? obviously we'd have to gradually get to 4 hrs , but i could take some time off

ruledbyheart Tue 23-Oct-12 20:32:28

You could also consider a dog walker? An hour a day to divide it up if you can't get home, a lot of rescues will take working people into consideration if there is a plan so the dog isn't left longer then 4 hours

fluffygal Tue 23-Oct-12 20:33:51

The rescue I help with (greyhounds and lurchers) rehome to people who work full time as long as its the right dog and they get a dog walker in for the middle of the day. They should match you to the right dog as some just can't handle being left. Its 3 days though so not as bad as fulltime. If you get a dog from a foster home you will have a better idea of how they are when left. It is possible!

ggirl Tue 23-Oct-12 20:36:03

dog walker is expensive though isn't it?
will look into it though

fluffygal Tue 23-Oct-12 20:53:43

Depends on your area/requirements, between £7-10 I think. If you can get back home for lunchtimes then that's perfect and no need for a dog walker.

GranToAirMissiles Tue 23-Oct-12 21:21:32

For leaving dog in vehicle, could you get a pickup, maybe one of those with a sort of canopy with open back?

ggirl Tue 23-Oct-12 21:23:47

no I need a smallish car for work as I am parking it about a million times a day, I've learnt that lesson grin

and dog would still get too hot/cold wouldn't it?

GranToAirMissiles Tue 23-Oct-12 21:44:58

Pickups are not necessarily bigger than a car, and the dog could be in the cab with you except for your 30 min stops when you could make him/her comfy in the back

www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/volkswagen_pickup_hits_the_beach.html

www.piaggioape.co.uk/

ggirl Tue 23-Oct-12 21:46:31

lolol at the paiggio thing
and the pickup is massive..non?

thanks though

rachmultiplemum Tue 23-Oct-12 21:51:17

There is still the risk of theft.... i would never leave a dog in a car

Scuttlebutter Tue 23-Oct-12 21:57:04

There should be no problem at all. Most rescues recognise that people work and will match you with an appropriate adult dog - this would be a big no-no for a puppy. Provided you have a regular dog walker on the three days (or friend/relation/neighbour) or use doggy day care you will be fine. Rescue will ask about the arrangements - you will need to show you have these in hand.

Agree about not taking your dog out with you - not only heat issue and vulnerability to theft, but would this be seen as culturally insensitive if you have been handling/travelling with dogs for some households?

GranToAirMissiles Tue 23-Oct-12 22:10:50

I've been thinking along the same lines as you. I like the look of this Suzuki Jimny with fold-down soft top

www.4x4x4.com/accessories/soft_tops4.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now