Talk

Advanced search

Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency - advice needed please

(6 Posts)
tipsycat Mon 22-Oct-12 09:37:07

I posted about my 12 month old Hungarian Vizsla last week, and he has since been diagnosed with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Does anyone have experience of treating this?

I've been adding the powdered enzymes to the special royal canin food which the vet prescribed and I things are improving (I think). He is much more lively and has more energy than last week, pretty much back to normal in terms of this.

The thing I'm still concerned about though, is his poo. It's porridge like in consistency, pale brown/yellow colour, and it doesn't smell like poo. This hasn't changed since the treatment started. Does this mean that he still isn't digesting his food properly, or will his poo always be like this now? Does the fact that he is more lively and energetic mean that he is absorbing some nutrients from his food? I don't think he has lost any more weight, but can't tell if he's put any back on yet either.

He has a vet appointment next week, do you think we need to go back sooner?

Thank you.

tipsycat Mon 22-Oct-12 10:56:36

bump

tipsycat Mon 22-Oct-12 16:30:45

Bump........anyone

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 22-Oct-12 16:39:08

Sometimes at the start of treatment it takes a bit of tweaking of the dose of the enzymes. I have treated several of these cases over several years and once we get the dose right the dogs do really well and have normal length happy lives.

poachedeggs Mon 22-Oct-12 19:14:44

I agree, it's basically a case of trial and error until you find a dose and a diet to suit the dog. Some dogs seem to do better on one formulation than another, no idea why but it could be something to consider if you don't get things totally sorted with dose adjustments. Once you get the balance right you can expect normal poo.

tipsycat Tue 23-Oct-12 08:09:27

Thank you. I'll try adding a bit more powder and see what happens. Hope I don't have to change food (again) as I've just bought a huge (expensive) bag of the prescription royal canin stuff.

On a positive note, he's much more bouncy and back to his naughty (but lovely) self. He must be feeling better. Just need to get some weight back on him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now