Talk

Advanced search

Storybooks for children with dogs and cats in?

(13 Posts)
RedwingWinter Sun 21-Oct-12 19:53:39

Does anyone know of any story books or picture books for children that feature dogs and/or cats in a way that shows knowledge of how to interact with pets? I know there are various resources aimed at teaching children, but I'm looking for something that is actually fiction, i.e. puts a story first, but happens to do a good job of depicting relationships with animals? Not something that shows a romantic view of kids hugging dogs (since most dogs don't like that). Any ideas?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 21-Oct-12 20:07:07

All the Mog books would be a good start. Mog's bad thing can always raise a laugh and ultimately Goodbye dear Mog.

RedwingWinter Sun 21-Oct-12 21:14:48

Thank you, that's a good suggestion.

Any other ideas? Keep them coming!

Gumby Sun 21-Oct-12 21:15:54

Some dogs do

Spot?

EugenesAxe Sun 21-Oct-12 21:41:39

Have a look at Mutt Dog perhaps? I couldn't answer if it was exactly what you were looking for, but it's not romantic particularly. It's about a family taking in a stray.

RedwingWinter Sun 21-Oct-12 22:09:38

More excellent suggestions, thanks! I especially like the sound of Mutt Dog.

Scuttlebutter Mon 22-Oct-12 00:24:41

I particularly liked the 100 mph dog series - incredibly funny, our nephews recommended them and I was laughing out loud as so many of the criminal enterprises were very familiar grin

The RGT do a nice little series of books about a greyhound called Speedy - very nicely illustrated, not very expensive here - would be a very good stocking filler for a slightly younger child.

I would be in bits having to read Goodbye Mog to a child sad

I wouldn't recommend Born to run by M Morpurgo - I don't like his books particularly, and that one has a lot of stuff that I think is unsuitable for DC and that many would find v upsetting.

My favourite fictional dog is Jumble in the William books - one of our dogs growing up was just as I imagined him, a mischievous terrier mongrel who could get into all sorts of mischief and was a wonderful companion and partner in crime.

RedwingWinter Mon 22-Oct-12 00:27:19

Thanks Scuttle!

RedwingWinter Mon 22-Oct-12 00:27:53

And you are right, books for stocking fillers are exactly what I am looking for.

bookbird Mon 22-Oct-12 00:33:17

For what age group Redwing? My DCs love Hairy Maclary and friends. Slinki Malinki (also by lynley dodd) is my DDs current favourite.

RedwingWinter Mon 22-Oct-12 00:45:23

Assorted ages - large family - but all under 11.

twolittlebundles Mon 22-Oct-12 00:51:56

I second Lynley Dodd books- animals are the core characters and the stories are fab.

RedwingWinter Mon 22-Oct-12 15:58:29

Thanks everyone. I've got lots of great ideas for books for my nephews and nieces now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now