Talk

Advanced search

Wormed the dog this morning, dicky tum this afternoon, normal?

(14 Posts)
ClaimedByMe Fri 19-Oct-12 15:45:27

I wormed my "mumsnet staffy" this morning, we have only had her a month or so so have never wormed a dog before, we used Drontal from the vet and this afternoon shes done a soft poo then a mucus poo, is this normal? She seems fine in herself, she had an upset tummy a few weeks ago and shes not displaying any of the signs her tummy is bothering her now.

applegate Fri 19-Oct-12 16:26:29

I have been worming my puppy over the last few days, a sachet a day for 3 days - from the vet, and he also has a really dicky tummy. He is fine in himself but poor puppy had an explosion all over his crate last night which bearing in mind he hasn't even wee'd in it was a bit of a surprise and a really runny tummy today. I have put it down to the worming too????

LFCisTarkaDahl Fri 19-Oct-12 16:28:12

Yes, I find it's normal - seems to totally clear them out - should be back to a solid one tomorrow.

It's the same with my cats when I drontal them and my dog - it's gross!

applegate Fri 19-Oct-12 16:32:01

oh good, I don't really fancy the crate clean again. It was everywhere.... he had to have a bath and managed to cover me in it on the way to the garden... a lovely surprise at 6.30 this morning, poor puppy hmm

shazbean Fri 19-Oct-12 16:33:21

Normal but you can change to a different wormer. We had this with our pup on Milbemax and got a different one last time and no problems. But can't remember the name sorry!

ClaimedByMe Fri 19-Oct-12 16:40:17

Ah good, all normal then! It works really quickly, I gave her the drontal at 9am and she was pooping out mucus at 3pm!

She is now rolling about in the big pile of clean washing I have just tipped out in the middle of the floor about to be sorted out!!

shazbean Fri 19-Oct-12 16:43:49

With ours the diahorrea lasted a couple of days so beware!

ClaimedByMe Fri 19-Oct-12 18:42:03

She's just been again, think we are in for a long night!

shazbean Fri 19-Oct-12 19:14:35

Ask your vet. I suspected the wormers after she was dodgy the second time but after the third dose she was the same so the vet recommended another kind.
I googled and think it might be Cestem we got but they said they would try several if there was still an issue.
With the Cestem she had soft poo but defo not anywhere near what it was the previous times (totally tmi sorry).

shazbean Fri 19-Oct-12 19:15:14

And sympathies for you both!

applegate Fri 19-Oct-12 20:08:14

Thanks, think we will miss bedtime supper tonight, he is still on 4 meals a day but feel it may not be a good idea! Thanks for the advice i will chat to the vet about getting a different one.

LST Fri 19-Oct-12 22:47:05

I had my pup at 7 weeks. He is now 16 weeks and been wormed 3 times. He still brings up worms. Poor mite sad The vet says he must have been riddled with the things.

ClaimedByMe Sat 20-Oct-12 11:10:50

Well she was fine through the night and has been out this morning and only wee'd and had her breakfast, fingers crossed when she poops later its normal!

Sorry to hear others are having horrid times with wormers too, thankfully she never actually had worms I think that would have freaked me out more than the explosive poops!

UterusUterusGhouli Sat 20-Oct-12 15:39:39

Don't know about dogs, but when I was wormed as a child, blush I would have the most painful, hideous trots.
Poor MN Staffie sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now