Talk

Advanced search

Two dogs?

(10 Posts)
helpyourself Fri 19-Oct-12 11:39:39

I'm looking after for the day, with a view to adopting, a 2nd dog.
They've finally stopped playing and I am pinned to the sofa wondering how feasible it would be...
Neither has great recall, which is manageable with one. I let them out into the garden and almost had a panic attack that loan dog would escape. Both whippet crosses, dog 2 is food motivated, which could make it easier. When they move I'm taking them to the park, and hope to find an empty tennis cage. Sheesh it's scary.

EasyToEatTiger Fri 19-Oct-12 12:20:09

Do your best to train dog#1 as well as you can before you get dog#2, or you will have 2 terrors! It will be much much more than double trouble. You will need to take the dogs out separately for training at the beginning so that they respond to you rather than each other. Hopefully dog#1 does this already so dog#2 will copy.

helpyourself Fri 19-Oct-12 12:58:30

Thank you tiger
Just back from the park. I didn't dare let them off the leads free range. sad fortunately there was an empty basket ball cage, but it was v rainy, so I did a little sit training with treats. I don't think I'll be able to take on dog2. It brought back how I always used to have to find a tennis court with dog1. She's so good now, I don't want to upset her balance, as well as it being an incredible amount of work.
Dog1 chases squirrels but has good enough recall, but she needs to be 100% if she's one of 2. Thank God the dcs don't know, I don't think it's going to work.

Fraggle78 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:54:21

We recently took on Dog No2, a nearly two year old rescue hound. Dog 1 is 16 months old. In some ways the arrival of No 2 has improved No 1's behaviour - e.g his recall has improved because he wants to be first back to get any treat on offer. He is also less interested in bounding up to every dog we meet on walks because he has his own ready made playmate at all times. At first they were mental in the house but have now settled down and are best friends. We're also much happier going out knowing that they have one another for company.

Having two has worked really well for us, but we spent quite a lot of time finding the right second dog and gave thought to what we should get. Dog 1 is big, so there was no way we could have another big dog because I have to be able to walk them on my own and not get dragged along. Just before No 2 arrived I did get cold feet and wonder if it was a big mistake but we have been very lucky.

Is there any way you could look after potential new dog for a few days to see how they rub along when the initial excitement has worn off? I think we may have given no 2 back if we had just gone on first impressions, if only because he insisted on pre dawn wake up calls...

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Fri 19-Oct-12 14:00:37

I have two dogs, usually have 2 GSDs - although now its 1 GSD and 1 geriatric black lab. I can have 2 so long as 1 is bomb proof.

For a while I had 3 which was chaos, was fostering 1 large dog, had my shepherd and then a puppy.

In my opinion your dog needs good recall and for you to be comfortable with 2 dogs in all situations. If the butt of all the work comes down to you then you need to make sure you can cope.

helpyourself Fri 19-Oct-12 14:33:52

I'm being philosophical. Dog2 is having a great day on a day he'd usually be home alone. Dog1 often spends time with elderly dogs and that's fine- they are just too similar to have together permanently.

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Mon 22-Oct-12 08:17:53

help I find that an older dog and a younger dog work well together - providing they are both decently trained. Or at the very least 1 dog that is bomb proof to cope with the naughty one, and help teach it some manners. grin

We often walk with other dogs, some who are well behaved, some who are hooligans not so well behaved. If I had to do this on a permanent basis it would drive me insane though, so I understand your reluctance.

rachmultiplemum Mon 22-Oct-12 08:43:33

Hiya,

You need to make your garden secure so that they can't escape. smile

It is very hard to get perfect recall with Whippets and whippet crosses and being sighthounds there is always the risk that they will spot something and disappear off after it.

Whippets do thrive on canine company, however if you don't feel ready or able to have another, don't get one.

It sounds like you need to get back to basis with recall training with your dog. Start from scratch again and do not let your dog off until it is coming back when on a long line (NOT an extension lead), also do lots of training in your garden. reward your dog for coming back, ignore it when it doesn't. Don't keep calling its name as it will just learn to ignore its name. Turn your back on him/her and walk in the opposite direction or sit down on the floor, go look at something. The dogs curiosity will get the better of it and it will come back. Then reward. Do not ever tell a dog off for running away, as it will think that you are telling it off for coming back!

helpyourself Mon 22-Oct-12 08:53:22

Thank you both for replying. We decided not to adopt dog2. They had a lovely exhausting day, but the clincher was remembering how nervy dog1 was when we got her. Her recall is good enough for us. She stays back when the door opens, is walked in a secure park and is very bonded to us.
I wish I had form on the pointy hounds thread as I'd like to help dog2 find a home. He's gorgeous, just too much for his current owner. We're in south London.

rachmultiplemum Mon 22-Oct-12 10:48:04

Hi helpyourself

I will message you my email address. Please send me some pics and details about the dog and i will pass it onto a few of my contacts x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now