Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone advise re my sick (diarrhoea) dog?

(27 Posts)
MeerkatMerkin Thu 18-Oct-12 20:52:07

Started this thread in chat as thought there would be more traffic, but unsurprisingly no one wants to read about dog poo.

Could anyone advise after reading my OP?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1591020-Sick-dog-advice-please-TMI-poo-related?msgid=34841553#34841553

Thanks. thanks

MeerkatMerkin Thu 18-Oct-12 20:55:08

Oops, that links to someone's reply but scroll to the top for OP. smile

fanoftheinvisibleman Thu 18-Oct-12 21:30:03

No expert as I have just got my first puppy but I tried to (very gradually) switch him onto JWB and by day 6 and a 3/4 mix of JWB and old food his poo was liquid. Swapped back and immediately the next poo was fine. Googling suggests that a few dogs do react to JWB like that.

fanoftheinvisibleman Thu 18-Oct-12 21:31:57

Oh and I read some posts on other forums suggesting that their dogs used to be fine with it a couple of years ago but not now so they said formula had changed.

MeerkatMerkin Thu 18-Oct-12 22:04:40

Thanks fan, I had heard rumours that JWB had changed. Will stick with the Skinners, just hope she improves tonight, she's been a horrible mess all day. sad

fanoftheinvisibleman Thu 18-Oct-12 22:14:11

Poor thing. Hope she's better tomorrow. Mine went straight back to a properly formed poo as soon as food changed. Mine came on Eukanuba which I wanted to change but I'm abit wary now whilst he's still little as it wasn't nice.

I started my own thread earlier as I've had a pukey pup tonight. Hoping it is because I've overdone training treats.

hattifattner Thu 18-Oct-12 22:22:22

rice and chicken or fish for a day or two until tum starts to settle down - you can buy pet mince for 90p or so at pets at home, frozen in a block - should last two days as main meal with rice, but stick to white meat (turkey doesnt agree with my pup).

If puppy is still squitty after a day or two, take to vet please as they can get very dehydrated. Also may have a bug or paracite causing tummy upset

How old is pup? I think many breeders send them off too early, before they are fully weaned. poor little things.

We have always given puppy own food for first week, then gradually introduce new food over the next two weeks, in ever increasing proportions (90:10 old to new > 80:20 etc).

fanoftheinvisibleman Thu 18-Oct-12 22:33:57

Mine? (I presume as I don't think Meerkats is a pup?)

He is nearly 12 weeks. We got him at 8 1\2 weeks and I switched food after a week. Did it gradually and was at vets on day 6 of switch when soft poo had finally turned to liquid. He was still on a mix of old and new and vet advised to go back to old.

Mine hasn't got the runs now. But he has been sick tonight. I'd (foolishly) decided he was ok with the treats I'd got as he's had a couple a day over last few days and used half a dozen when training. I think it was possibly that and would take him if he is ill tomorrow. He seems fine in himself though.

TeaDr1nker Thu 18-Oct-12 22:40:22

How old is ur dog, sorry I can't seem to see but would suggest as others, when my 15 yr old gets the runs I don't feed her for 24 hours then give boiled rice and egg or plain chicken - no skin. I have occasionally had to go to the vets who give a painkiller as she has a crampy tummy IYSWIM. If it doesn't settle go to the vet. Is ur dog drinking, hope it passes (excuse the pun) soon.

Aquelven Thu 18-Oct-12 22:43:17

If it's liquid & yellow it sounds like colitis.
Don't give any solids, just water & you say you're at the vets tomorrow? He probably needs antibiotics to clear it.

MeerkatMerkin Thu 18-Oct-12 23:09:46

My dog is 4 1/2 so not particularly a pup (although acts like one sometimes!).

It is yellow and runny. DH gave her a bit of rice earlier. She's at the vets tomorrow tea time as that's the first appointment I could get.

She had poached chicken fillets with plain rice yesterday. I will hold off giving her anything else to eat until we've seem the vet. She hasn't drunk today that I've seen. She keeps trembling which is something she sometimes does when she's constipated, I feel awful for her. sad

MeerkatMerkin Fri 19-Oct-12 00:02:09

Think it could possibly be colitis, just realised there is now blood in it.

Have put one of DS's nappies on her. Is this horribly cruel or a good way to get a stool sample to take to the vets tomorrow?

midori1999 Fri 19-Oct-12 01:24:39

I would take the nappy off, if the dog has the runs you can easily get a stool sample, the poor dog will be covered if she has a nappy on.

Did you gradually introduce the JWB? It sounds like you suddenly swapped and most dogs wouldn't do well with a change that.

It's always worth at least speaking to a vet if diarrhoea hasn't cleared after 24 hrs, sooner if accompanied by vomiting.

midori1999 Fri 19-Oct-12 01:25:39

Also, the nappy may mean she tries not to go to toilet, which is obviously not good!

ceres Fri 19-Oct-12 07:39:16

you need to take her to the vet. our staffie has colitis and when he gets a flare up (rarely, thankfully) he sometimes trembles and shakes - the vet told me this is a sign of being in pain.

if it is colitis there are loads of things you can do to help manage it.

good luck. i know there are a few here who have experience of dogs with colitis so plenty of advice available if it is colitis.

MeerkatMerkin Fri 19-Oct-12 11:07:52

She is covered anyway midori sad She messes when she's sitting down, hence having to sponge her down a lot, poor thing. The nappy wasn't very effective anyway unsurprisingly!

Yep just swapped straight to the JWB, I know it wasn't the best idea, but we realised we had run out of Skinners duck & rice (thought we had another sack in the store but didn't) and our friend gave us the JWB duck & rice - we assumed it would be similar enough not to cause an issue, plus she was on it for a long time with no problems.

She's at the vets this evening, it was the only appointment I could get, have called again today to check if there have been any cancellations we can fill but no joy. She's very listless and I'm worried.

My dog has had a bad tummy since Wednesday night. I'm giving him just white rice and a smidge of gravy today to see if it helps. No blood in the poo, and he's still running about like a loon (just had us up for the last two nights at 2am to let him out/clear up cow pats). I think it might have been the behaviourist's treats. I didn't think at the time hmm

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 19-Oct-12 11:19:44

I hope she's ok soon Meerkat. At least you are in at the vets later.

MeerkatMerkin Fri 19-Oct-12 19:25:40

Vet suspects parvo. She is vaccinated and up to date (although due next one at the end of this month) so really upset she's managed to contract it. Vet is sending stool sample off for tests, she's had an antibiotic shot and has rehydration sachets I'm syringing into her mouth. We're back at the vets in the morning. Scared. sad

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 19-Oct-12 19:44:27

sad what a worry. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

coffeeinbed Fri 19-Oct-12 19:47:42

Poor doggie.
Hope she gets better soon!

Aquelven Fri 19-Oct-12 19:52:48

Don't get too scared. I had a litter of puppies that contracted it at six weeks old, this was when it was just rearing it's ugly head in the late seventies, before they developed the vaccine. They all recovered with careful nursing.

MeerkatMerkin Fri 19-Oct-12 20:11:24

Thanks for the thoughts and reassurance.'

The vet said that because she is vaccinated she shouldn't have it as badly as if she wasn't. I feel so bad for her because she just wants to sit with us where it's warm and cosy (sofa) and I don't blame her but she keeps leaking liquid poo and blood so she has to be confined to the kitchen. I gave made her a little bed with an old cushion covered in towels in front of the radiator (she has messed both her beds and they're wet from washing) so hopefully she's a little more comfortable now. I'm spending most of my time with her just stroking her wee head and hoping she feels better soon.

Aquelven Fri 19-Oct-12 21:53:48

I hope she's soon on the mend, poor mite, it's a rotten illness while it lasts.
They just want to be with you when they're not well. I've often slept downstairs with a sick one.

fanoftheinvisibleman Mon 22-Oct-12 08:01:13

How's she doing Meerkat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now