Talk

Advanced search

what is the best food for a dog who seems to have a sensitive stomache?

(17 Posts)
MrsRhettButler Thu 18-Oct-12 11:31:52

Hi, my dog seems to have a sensitive stomache, he's not one of those dogs who can hoover up any and everything, he will have sickness and or dihorhea if he eats anything other than dry dog food or bread.

Bones from the butchers make him sick and wet food makes his poop runny.

I've not got a lot of budget as my circumstances have changed and I'm now a lone parent but I'm worried because I know he's not getting the best quality dry food sad
What can I try?

He loves carrots btw and doesn't have a problem with these as long as he only has one.

MrsRhettButler Thu 18-Oct-12 11:32:32

Ooops stomach doesn't have an e on the end blush

MrsRhettButler Thu 18-Oct-12 13:46:19

Bump anyone?

Shoshe Thu 18-Oct-12 13:48:36

We were actually told to give cheapie chicken and rice to ours after she had had a bad stomach virus. We tried her back on dried but she hardly ate it so put her back on chappie

SheilaWheeler Thu 18-Oct-12 13:52:51

I give ours Chappie with a bit of Nature Diet on the top which seems to settle his runny bum (sorry, tmi!)

He also has a heaped teaspoonful of slippery elm powder dissolved in boiling water daily, mixed in with his food as suggested by another poster here in the doghouse.

wildfig Thu 18-Oct-12 14:11:06

Skinners duck/chicken/lamb & rice kibbles are good and because it's made for working dogs, it's VAT free and cheaper than JWB, etc. Or try your local animal feed supplier, if you have one, as they often do an unbranded sensitive blend - my very sensitive-tummed dog only seems to get on with their own brand hypoallergenic chicken/rice food, at about £20 for a 12kg bag.

Or Chappie!

Onlyaphase Thu 18-Oct-12 14:14:03

I've got a lab with the same issues, and he has been fine on Chappie for 8 years now.

Mrsjay Thu 18-Oct-12 14:15:52

You could go organic but our dog had the runs on that he is now on chappie dry complete and he is fine our last dog was always back and forward to the vet and had was given achicken and rice roll thingy would help her then back on chappie , I did used to give our last dog pasta sometimes when she was bad with it, she had loads of tests and she just had a sensitive stomach, she was a very stressy dog though is your dog anxious,

morethanyoubargainfor Thu 18-Oct-12 14:17:37

Another vote for skinners or chappie. My lurcher is very sensitive and skinners is great for him.

Mrsjay Thu 18-Oct-12 14:17:43

Chappie is the best for a budget apparently our vet recommended it ,

MrsRhettButler Thu 18-Oct-12 14:39:01

Oh chappie is popping up lots, thanks for all the suggestions.

MrsJay I'm not sure if he's what you'd call stressy but thinking about it he probably is. Not in a timid way, quite the opposite actually, he barks a LOT when people come to the door and he has to be crated. I've had a few dogs in my lifetime and he is definitely the most sensitive to what's going on around him. very easily picks up on your mood, more so than any other dog I've had, if I'm angry he gets aggressive and worried and I don't mean when I'm shouting, I can be very quietly angry and he'll get very upset.

MrsRhettButler Thu 18-Oct-12 14:42:03

He barks at children who are scared of him as he's quite big and this is why I have to crate him when certain visitors come sad he's absolutely fine with anyone who is friendly towards him though.

I'm going to have to save some money and get a behaviourist I think but that's another thread.

Mrsjay Thu 18-Oct-12 14:43:42

That is what our last dog was like and we had her from a puppy, new dog is a bit stressy when DH is home but i think last owners man in the house did shout at him, they had 2 toddlers and a x collie puppyrescue said he was to much for them
, we are working on his man issues though, I hope you get your dog calmed down and poop dried up grin

MrsRhettButler Thu 18-Oct-12 14:53:16

Thanks MrsJay I hope so too smile

Xp did used to shout at him and think this has contributed to his aggression. I try to stay very calm with him but he doesn't usually respond to anything except a booming voice saying LAY DOWN!! And don't have a boomy voice grin

Lougle Thu 18-Oct-12 14:53:47

Try Burns Potato and Pork. It's about £45 per sack, but you need around half the amount of cheaper foods, so it will last.

I used to get Beta Purina at £25 per sack, but I had to give double the amount, so Burns is actually cheaper per meal.

Lougle Thu 18-Oct-12 14:55:22

Also, you could try clicker training. It's possible that he is scared and anxious, but is displaying that by trying to be 'loud' and bolshy. If you can use reward based training (clicker with treats for the correct behaviour) then it will build his confidence and get you the desired behaviour.

MrsRhettButler Thu 18-Oct-12 14:59:53

I will google clicker training and will definitely try it thank you and yes, I expect that is what he's doing.

Tbh I'm not sure I'd have the £45 at one time (I'm having a bad couple of months) but thank you for the suggestion and will keep it in mind if the chappie doesn't work smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now