Talk

Advanced search

Please come and tell me about Poodles!

(20 Posts)

I'm thinking about what out next dog will be, looooooooong time yet though, our current dog is only 5 and has a life expectancy of about 10 more years yet grin

I've always loved the look of Poodles, but although we have a dog, I wouldn't say we were experienced owners, we have a greyhound and he isn't really interested in any training of any kind. But I guess we'll be fairly clued up when it's time for our next dog.

Would you recommend a Poodle for a sort of novicey-ish family? I know they're very intelligent so would need to be kept busy which wouldn't be a problem if/when we get one as I'll have a lot of time to devote to training etc.

And I'm also allergic to dogs which is another reason I'm interested in them.

Also, I'm not interested in Cavapoos, Labradoodles, Retroodles, Shitzpoos or any other kind of 'oodle'. So please don't come on here and tell me a <insert oodle here> would be perfect because you may aswell go chat to a brick wall.

Thank you smile

stowsettler Tue 16-Oct-12 12:32:16

What size poodle? Standard, mini or toy?

SingingSands Tue 16-Oct-12 12:36:10

Not owned one myself, but used to know a family who had 3 standard poodles. They were delightful. When I first met the dogs I was surprised at how soft their coats were, for some reason I thought they would be wiry. Secondly, they had lovely temperaments - friendly, loving, calm dogs, not bouncy-bouncy.

Since meeting those dogs (about 13 years ago now) it really changed my view of standard poodles. I'd love one myself, but my DH doesn't like dogs and we have 2 cats now!

Oh size, erm, definitely not Toy, too small, I'd break it grin
How big is a mini?

AgathaFusty Tue 16-Oct-12 14:57:08

Toys are the smallest, minatures are around cocker spaniel sized and standards are a bit bigger than a labrador, but slimmer and with a 'waist'.

Our standard is almost 13. He was the first dog we had as a family, so we were novices with regard to training but we read loads, took him training classes and had a dog trainer come to the house and spend a couple of hours with us when he was about 12 weeks old so give us some one-to-one advice and direction on how best to train. He is a brilliant dog, has been fantastic with the children as they have grown up and I would recommend one to anyone who wants a great, all round, big dog.

As you say, they are intelligent and do need to be kept busy, but they are also very intuitive too and ours easily settles and sleeps if we are too busy to give him attention.

I'd love a standard but I think DP would want a smaller size, so we may end up going for a minature.

Obviously individual dogs will all be different but generally do the different sizes have different temperaments?

stowsettler Tue 16-Oct-12 16:19:50

Absolutely no experience with minis, but IME standards are totally mental when they're young, then around 3-4 they calm right down. Never met a nasty standard (and I've met a few), they generally seem to be very good natured. I believe (but obv no personal experience) that minis are not as manic when younger.

Notquite Tue 16-Oct-12 16:30:54

I grew up with poodles and loved them, but they're not necessarily hypoallergenic. DH sneezed & wheezed round my DP's' last one. He's presumably allergic to akin dander (or canine equivalent) rather than hair.

AgathaFusty Tue 16-Oct-12 17:01:24

I think in general that smaller dogs do calm down at a younger age than bigger dogs, although I'm sure there are exceptions to that. That said, ours wasn't 'mental' but that was probably because we were pretty strict with him - you have to be if you have a dog (especially a big dog) with small children in my opinion.

I have been told that the smaller poodles can be a bit whinier than standards, but again that could be down to training and expectations. I think that perhaps if they are over cossetted then its likely that you would end up with a dog like that. I've met some fantastic minatures who love nothing more than a good romp through a muddy field and a lake to jump into grin

Oh I wouldn't be interested in a young one, the thought of having another baby a puppy fills me with horror grin
The perfect age I think would be around 4ish.

bobbybearmummy Tue 16-Oct-12 17:20:18

I have always had a poodle in the house and now have 2 miniature poodles.....both are around 15" in height.They are easy to train,are natural clowns...and we never a dull moment.They like being with you,they do not like being left at home alone,and they need at least an hour of exercise daily.They need grooming several times a week,and if you cannot trim them yourself,then around every 6 weeks,a trip to the poodle parlour.
Fantastic,intelligent,fun loving dogs that do not need to be crossed with anything!!!
Not a dog for someone out at work all day .

AgathaFusty Tue 16-Oct-12 17:29:57

Poodle rescue

Should not have clicked the link. That brown standard boy, gorgeous!! I want one now sad

multipoodles Tue 16-Oct-12 19:31:52

Oh oh oh my very favourite subject.. I LOVE poodles as you can guess smile We have always had poodles, mostly toy and standard but have had mini's to stay occasionally and love them all, though to be fair standards are still my favourite. Our std girl here is nearly two and as mad as a box of frogs, yes it does take about four years for them to calm down, the sad part is when they finally stop messing about they are old and wise but not many years left in them sad It breaks my heart when they leave us, much as I love puppies I love the wisdom and dignity of older dogs, just wish they stayed forever.

Have a look on my profile and see my bunch, they are the most fun loving, extrovert dogs you could imagine, I swear they have a sense of humour! Very very smart and fast to learn, in fact they learn so quickly they're a step ahead of you. They love company, that's not to say they yap or bark left alone but I swear you can see the sadness in their eyes when you do leave them. They love exercise and the silver toy in my profile is 13 and every bit as agile as she was as a puppy.

Poodles, couldn't be without them smile

multi I love the 3rd picture down, the one of the black one leaping, gorgeous.

So do the different sizes tend to have different temperaments? This may sway our decision, my preference would be a standard, but DP would probably prefer a minature. But by the time we will actually get around to getting another dog DD will be about 7-8 and she's only 16mo at the moment blush

multipoodles Tue 16-Oct-12 22:02:39

They're all great smile standards are my big love, they are hyper in the fun sense, love to jump and will knock a small child over, have a real dog bark, not just as sensitive as the smaller ones, quite loving but not clingy. Mini's I find a bit whiney but it could just be the lines I'm familiar with, again bouncy but easier to handle due to their size. The toys I love as they are so easy to carry around, but they can be yappy, I do hate to say that but they'd be the ones who'd nip a bit quicker, just the big dog in small dog syndrome. They love a job, I did agility with my toys and they can really fly and jump out of their skin, Agility with my last standard was hilarious she had everyone in stitches at her antics. I don't think you can wrong with any of the sizes!

happygardening Wed 17-Oct-12 07:57:20

Ive loved poodles since I was a little girl and about 12 years ago seriously considered a standard poodle having met a stunning one in our park on a regular basis. But standard poodles can be really big 28" to the shoulder you heading down the great Dane road in terrms of size they just wouldnt fit in my car and also certainly in London where we lived then really expensive to clip.
I've had many breeds of dogs in my life but two months ago having researched the breed really carefully and also the cost of grooming we acquired a miniture poodle puppy. He is everything that is written above, easy to train, funny, loving, non shedding, non barking. He comes to work with me I work children and they all adore him and he them. I'm amazed at the number of people who say "I've always loved poodles". They do need a fair bit of exercise for small dogs and are certainly not bothered by mud rain.
I agree with others why go for a poodle cross a poodle ticks the same boxes It's just a fashion which is never good for the dog itself.
I'm now a poodle convert and one day may get a standard!

Aquelven Wed 17-Oct-12 10:25:01

The only ones I have experience of are the toy ones. A friend has them.
They are absolutely gorgeous, very lively & loving, can't believe how incredibly soft their hair is.
They almost tempt me away from my Yorkies.........almost.

The size doesn't bother me at all, my greyhound is 29" floor to shoulder with a 30" back length (average male greyhound is 28" back length).

Thank you everyone, I really really want one now. I'd love a more active dog, my greyhound just sleeps grin got a long time to wait though.

happygardening Wed 17-Oct-12 10:48:34

"Mini's I find a bit whiney but it could just be the lines I'm familiar with,"
Mines a black one the breeder who I got him from who lives breathes eats sleeps poodles and is one of the top breeders judges of the breed told me the black ones are less whiny and more sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now