Talk

Advanced search

So I went to see the behaviourist/trainer today

(3 Posts)
Lougle Mon 15-Oct-12 13:12:27

Really helpful lady. Lots of good advice. We have a long road ahead, because he is severely lacking in confidence, though. He spent the first several minutes with his tail pinned firmly under his bottom sad

So the advice is that we click when he looks at another dog, turn away and treat as we walk away. I think it's BAT?

He did really well with a lurcher used as as stooge dog, but was showing some signs of stress (he was getting more 'lungey' with the treat offered).

I'm hopeful that he may one day get to a place where he can display positive calm body language with other dogs, and not be so fearful.

Glad you had a good session, Lougle. I have my first session with a behaviourist on Wednesday. I am a bit nervous, tbh, as she too is bringing a stooge dog.

Cuebill Mon 15-Oct-12 16:13:22

I am so glad that it went well Lougle. It is really helpful to have someone else looking at body language etc to help you.

Clicker training generally will help to give your dog confidence as they never get things wrong. So if you can teach tricks etc as well it will help you dog.

He is lucky to have an owner who is willing to put in some time. He will repay you loads though in timesmile. The bond he will get from you and the confidence he will get from you will make him a fantastic dog.

Don't be nervous Chickens I am sure the behaviourist will have see it all before and they will love to help you. But if they say dominance run a mile grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now