Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Question about bitch on heat

(7 Posts)
WeaselChutney Sat 13-Oct-12 21:56:26

I have a 15 month old springer spaniel bitch who appears to have been on heat for a long time.

She started bleeding and had a swollen vulva and teats over the last two weeks of August. The bleeding stopped after about 10 days and then she started doing the 'tail wag' to the side when you stroked above her tail.

It's now been about 6 weeks and her vulva and teats still seem rather swollen and she is swollen on her inner 'thighs' iyswim.

I've only had dogs in the past, not bitches, is this normal for her to still be like this? How long are bitches normally on heat for? I appreciate it varies from animal to animal, but I hoped someone might be able to offer any advice.

Thanks in advance.

daisydotandgertie Sun 14-Oct-12 09:18:48

Normal seasons last for about 28 days - but it will vary by a couple of days either way depending on the bitch and it does take a while for the vulva and nipples to contract again - and differs from dog to dog. They start with bleeding for 10 - 14 days, then dry up which is an indication of ovulation, and then some bitches bleed again - some don't for the rest of the season which takes them to a season length of about 28 days.

Are you quite certain she didn't get out/meet a husband?

Is she well in herself, or subdued? Any changes in behaviour or eating?

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that all bitches suffer from a phantom pregnancy to some degree - it's the way their hormones work. It is rather early for a pregnancy or a phantom pregnancy to show but it is just possible.

Thinkability Sun 14-Oct-12 09:33:35

My adopted lab was like that and other dogs showed interest in her for a time after. We had to wait to get her spayed because 'things' would have stayed the same if we had done it then. IYKWIM. She did eventually go back to normal and has been fine since being spayed.

Aquelven Sun 14-Oct-12 10:30:49

If this was her first season her nipples will not go back to the size they were before as she is a mature female now, not a puppy.

midori1999 Sun 14-Oct-12 11:16:28

The teats and vulva do stay enlarged after the first season, but not as enlarged as during a season.

I think if you are worried then you should get her checked at a vet to make sure, no harm if it's nothing. Is there any chance whatsoever she has been mated? Has she been out of your sight on walks or in contact with any entire or recently neutered males at all?

Is there any discharge coming from her vulva at all?

WeaselChutney Mon 15-Oct-12 12:33:38

Thank you for your replies and apologies for my slow response, I haven't interent access for a few days.

She has been out of my sight on occasion but not for more than 10 mins maximum when I was around the farm, and I didn't see any other dogs about at the time.

I thought they stayed 'joined' for a while after they've mated, so if she had found a boyfriend then she would have been missing for more than 10 min.

I didn't realise that her teats and vulva would stay swollen after her first season, I just thought they'd go back to how they were before. She is less swollen than she was at first, it seems it could simply be that she is now mature rather than a puppy.

I think it may be worth a quick visit to the vet just to be on the safe side, she needs to go to have her micro chip checked anyway.

WeaselChutney Mon 15-Oct-12 12:34:04

No - doesn't appear to be any discharge at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now