Talk

Advanced search

Can someone please explain to me how a dog learns to ASK to go out for a wee?

(20 Posts)
TrinityRhino Fri 12-Oct-12 19:56:52

Please I don't understand how to do it?

Aquelven Fri 12-Oct-12 20:47:08

First thing is to get him to realise where it is he's supposed to go.
You do this by doing a few things....
Put him outside after every meal, when he wakes up (immediately) whether it's first thing in a morning or after a nap & also whenever you see him scurrying around, sniffing the floor & looking a bit worried. Pick him up & take him out.
Don 't shut the door on him & come inside, stay outside no matter how long it takes till he does the necessary THEN praise him like he's the cleverest dog in the world. Make a HUGE fuss of him, you can't go over the top enough.
If he has an accident indoors, don't scold him. Just pick him up & take him outside to show him the right place. Then make sure you clean the accident spot well to get rid of the smell & watch him more carefully next time.

They eventually get the idea. It usually just seems to click. Some breeds seem to learn much quicker than others. My Skyes get the idea in weeks & are clean indoors by about four months old but my Yorkies take months.
Once they get the idea they usually have their own way of letting you know they need to go out. My littlest one comes & sits in front of me, giving me an accusing look, & barks, another bounces up & down like he's got springs in his legs. One of my Skyes goes & rams her nose into the back door as if she thinks she can walk through it.

I know someone who hung a bell on a rope at the back door & taught her dog to pull the rope & ring to go out!!

I...don't know, really. He learned he needed to go outside because I kept taking him, but playing the venetian blinds like a xylophone was his own invention.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 12-Oct-12 20:49:12

And if you have a lazy greyhound they will never ask if it's raining outside. Mine pees in the hall if it's wet or too cold! Not impressed.

RandomMess Fri 12-Oct-12 20:51:52

assistance dogs are taught the "busy" to be associated with doing their business outside and are rewarded with a food treat for success.

Makes them fairly reliable grin

Aquelven Fri 12-Oct-12 20:58:47

I tell mine to "hurry up" & they mostly do it to order. grin

Lougle Fri 12-Oct-12 21:14:08

Mine took forever to get the idea. Now, he's been clean day and night (hoorah) whatever the weather (another rain hater) and in the last month or so, has started coming up to me and putting his nose on me before walking towards the door. He's almost 11 months old.

Before that, it was just a case of if he got up in the evening (he tends to sleep all evening), he was offered out.

wildfig Fri 12-Oct-12 21:36:13

I took my basset puppy outside to the kitchen yard constantly, and did the squeaky 'wee, please' thing, plus treats, etc. He then learned that wees happened outside, and to get outside he needed to go through the door, and if the door was shut, bashing his mighty paw against it would result in it being opened before he took another layer of paint off or put his paw through the glass.

In an unusually logical thought progression for a basset hound, he seems to have learned that, if he's not in the kitchen with access to the yard, bashing on any available door will result in me getting up, and then he'll trot through to the kitchen to be let out there.

I think I could teach him to jangle a bell suspended from the door handle, but frankly that would just result in both dogs using it as a means of summoning the Food Girl, and my life would be even more Downton Abbey than it already is. I never realised that I'd end up in service to a pair of dogs.

MrsVamoOOOOOs Fri 12-Oct-12 21:44:47

When we first brought pup home, I put plenty of newspaper down in an area she could go to if she couldn't get outside quick enough.

From the first day, took her into the garden and said "do wee wees" and then when she did, praised immediately "Good Girl, puppy". I think it helps them learn quicker if you do praise a lot, in a happy, sing-song voice, using their name. I repeated it about 15 times a day, and gradually it lessened until we found her 'asking' to go out.

We only had 2 accidents, and they were entirely our faults for playing with her and not realising that she was wanting to go.

It probably took her a week or so to realise that if she stood by the back door (she actually 'scrapes' it with her paw, she did this on her own) then she gets let out.

groovejet Sat 13-Oct-12 07:44:24

When I used to take Flynn out to the garden when we were toilet training I would give the catflap a kick with my foot. He now bats at the catflap to let me know he needs to go out.

If I haven't heard the flap he comes over and makes a wuff noise at me and runs back to the door.

midori1999 Sat 13-Oct-12 08:42:14

Honestly? I haven't trained any of mine to ask, but one does bark (once, although once repeatedly if I ignore) and its very, very annoying. It's had got less as we've ignored it largely, but she still does it sometimes. The others just politely wait until I let them out, which is far preferable and that is something that comes with time. Some dogs will wait quietly by the back door or stare at you by way of a hint though. grin

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Oct-12 08:42:52

Thanks everyone. I think we are not seeing her cues every time.

Literally just now, she got off dps lap and wandered away. Suddenly I thought oop, check where she's going and she was standing staring at the back door. Let her out and she immediately pooped. So huge praise and realisation that we are not working hard enough to help hersmile thanks guys

Lougle Sat 13-Oct-12 18:43:19

It isn't always easy smile Our pup weed in the hall for ages. He got the idea that weeing in front of us wasn't going to get him a treat, but instead of realising that weeing outside got him treats, he decided that the hall way was a good solution to being exposed to the elements!

deste Sat 13-Oct-12 21:58:58

Ours sits either at the back or front door and gives a quiet wuff and then waits.

Naysa Mon 15-Oct-12 09:30:11

Our's taught himself. He also toilet trained himself but we struck lucky with him. He paces up and down a couple of times and if you ignore him the he chuffs until you let him out. Unfortunately he has us that well trained that he just does it when he's bored so he can go out for a little play.

Cuebill Mon 15-Oct-12 13:07:22

On purpose I do not teach mine to "ask" to go out. They go out enough that they do not have to ask. They wait until a time appropriate to me. If they are poorly and need to go out the body language is very clear, hoovering near the door, being restles, panting etc.

I have a friend whose dog rings a bell - wtf - he has trained his owner well he rings the bell and she comes running - her dog seems to wee every half an hour!!

My dog just wanders around seemingly aimlessly. We missed this once, back in june so he wazzed up the hoover instead. Took me bloody ages to dab out all the pee from the millions of ridges in the side of the hoover angry

out2lunch Mon 15-Oct-12 19:04:13

mine has a routine where we let him out - same times every day he never needs to ask
first thing in the morning
lunchtime
evening
before bed

TrinityRhino Mon 15-Oct-12 21:13:11

I have no problem with my dogs asking to go out when they need to.
I certainly don't pee and poo at the same time every day.
Our other dog asks.

LoveDogs Thu 18-Oct-12 22:01:45

We give the command "quick, quick", always worked with all of ours, she also comes up to me and puts her paw up, usually for toilet, food or water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now