Talk

Advanced search

Tesco extra insurance - lifetime cover?

(9 Posts)
fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 12-Oct-12 13:12:59

Our puppy came with the standard 4 weeks KC insurance and we are now looking for a longterm policy.

I've had a few people recommend tesco to me and I have used them in the past when I had a cat. I know they say they will insure older pets but do they guarantee lifetime cover? I'm just a little worried that they could refuse to renew at a certain age?

SkiLift Fri 12-Oct-12 13:14:44

You need to check the smallprint VERY carefullly. Lifetime cover does not always mean each condition is covered for life.
i.e get an ongoing problem with a need for lifelong medication and it may have an upper limit i.e 5 grand. Once that has been met you are on your own. Although they will continue to cover your dog for all other illnesses for life.

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 12-Oct-12 13:26:58

I am aware of the maximum cover for each condition. I'm just concerned about whether they can just refuse to insure you at all at a point where you are going to find it difficult to be taken on elsewhere at 8+.

I don't know if it is worth worrying about or not as I guess they can always make it difficult for you with unreasonable premiums anyway if they want rid of your custom.

SkiLift Fri 12-Oct-12 13:40:08

i just had a brief look at the tesco one you mean, and it would seem that it will insure for life, i,e as old as the dog gets. I have just cancelled an insurance for my dog who will be 12 soon as the premium has now reached 38 per month for quite a basic cover. My thinking is that if it were something horrendously expensive like big ops etc, it would not be fair to put him through it. Anything else I can pay as I go with what I am not paying as a premium.
My other dog is with KC all singing all dancing at 29 per month and still a pup. Will be reviewing that as I go.

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 12-Oct-12 13:47:12

I did the same thing with my cat tbh Skilift. Premiums rocketed once he hit 13 or 14 and I decided I wouldn't put him through invasive or unpleasant treatment anyway so cancelled.

KC is wanting £26 a month for similar cover with a higher excess than tesco who are under £15 a month. A few people I know in real life have said they were very good at paying out for expensive ops.

SkiLift Fri 12-Oct-12 13:56:06

The only reason I chose KC was due to the lifelong bit meaning that every year the total amount for a condition starts again.

So say it was 5 grand per condition and you reached 4 grand in a year, the new year starts with a new 5 grand. Which is great if you have a young dog on lifelong medication etc. But as you say, expensive with my excess being £75

JemimaPuddle Fri 12-Oct-12 14:00:04

I'm with Petplan and would really recommend them.
If you want to chat through various policies, have you tried VIP? They are a pet insurance brokers so can advise on different policies with lots of different insurers.
I've used then for a few years and they sort out renewal, any claims etc for me.

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 12-Oct-12 14:16:55

I had a fallout with Petplan when I had my cat Jemima. It was silly really and nothing to do with my service but the lady I spoke to was just so rude and snotty I ended up cancelling my policy.

They sent renewal notices for the previous owners of our house for 4 years. Every year I rang and told them and every year they said they couldn't stop the mailing. When I queried why they had no 'gone away' policy or responsibility to safeguard bank details (DD info on policy) she was beyond rude. So I stropped and moved to Tesco. I bear a long grudge when it comes to customer service!

I haven't seen VIP. Will take a look. I appreciate that is a good advantage of KC insurance too Skilift.

JemimaPuddle Fri 12-Oct-12 19:27:58

I would have done the same fan. Can't abide rude customer service. Luckily I've not seen that but maybe that's only because I don't actually deal with them but deal with VIP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now