Talk

Advanced search

My Dad has made an addition to his will.

(7 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Tue 09-Oct-12 20:58:09

Not the official one my mum has with her solicitor. I am aware of that one - I get 1 third of the house and a parrot who will most likely have eaten my third of the house before I inherit it hmm This is one that is made up of yellow post it notes under the TV, the one he has in case he dies first (he is very morbid, but to be fair he has seen half of his family die in the last few years)

My youngest sister get his collection of collectible Zippo lighters and war memorablia - you know, things that are valuable.

My middle sister gets all of his power tools and the blue prints (which mainly consist of drawings on yellow post it notes) to his hand made dolls houses. - you know, useful stuff.

I get - a neurotic, aggressive Whippet who is scared of her own shadow and a very damaged parrot who will not leave his cage or eat the correct diet for love nor money and is prone to performing impromptu finger amputations.

He thinks my mum will keep the other birds, but she has told him she will not keep his dogs. My sister would take one, which leaves a very loving, placid lurcher and a very damaged Whippet. I get the whippet. I have no idea who he has willed his lurcher to, knowing him it will be my children, who live with me.

I should be annoyed really, shouldn't I? <tries really hard> Nope, still not annoyed. DH would be, though grin

fanoftheinvisibleman Tue 09-Oct-12 21:39:19

Do you know something DOoin I think it says a little something about what he thinks of you. And I think you should be a little bit proud too because I'd lay odds that he is. He's leaving them valuable and useful...your getting what matters!

pimmsgalore Tue 09-Oct-12 21:41:43

Doin I just knew this was a post by you. grin

Don't worry his whippet can chase your pup around and they will be happy ever after

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 09-Oct-12 21:48:44

I do feel quite honored that he trusts me with his "Princess" but it could be a case of no-one else would be daft enough to take her on grin

She came from a bad background and has been through a lot. If she has to lose him too, he wants her to go with someone she knows and trusts who will be understanding of her "ishoos"

The other two are both balanced, loving dogs, who would easily find a home. The whippet would struggle.

Scuttlebutter Tue 09-Oct-12 22:16:25

Dooin, it definitely sounds as though the dogs and parrot are yours wink

In all seriousness, though, it's really important if you own a pet to make your wishes very clear about what happens after your death. The time following a death (even if expected) is always very stressful and emotional, and this is one of those issues that can't wait. Not every family are able (or willing, nor should they be) to take in animals at short notice.

In the same way as it's important to discuss funeral preferences, executors for the will, etc I'd say clarifying the question of who takes on the animals is vital. In rescue, I've seen some really shocking things where family members have literally driven animals out of the house when someone has died, shock but I've also seen the flipside where people have been able to pass away knowing their very beloved animals are being looked after properly. We're currently providing long term foster care for two greyhounds whose owner is very ill (fortunately not terminally) and it's been so important for her recovery to know her dogs are being loved and cared for (looks round at contented hound farting on the duvet).

It's also worth mentioning the wonderful charity Cinnamon Trust - they do so much good work for elderly and terminally ill people and will find a lifelong home for dogs in their care.

Just please, please, please DON'T go with the RSPCA - recent figures showed that over a quarter of pets who were left to them in their bereavement scheme were immediately killed - shocking and shameful.

Dogs Trust also provide a similar scheme but I'm happy to say their record is much better. Many smaller rescues also provide help in these circumstances - another reason for adopting a pet. Most rescues will always do their utmost to provide support for a terminally ill owner and will also take back a dog and find a loving home for it after its owner dies. The crucial thing is that the family/executor/social worker/neighbour KNOW the preferences of the deceased. Don't just rely on your will - this may not be read immediately. Nobody likes having these sorts of conversations - but it really can make a huge difference.

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 09-Oct-12 22:34:06

Parrot*s*, there are two of them. One I knew I was getting, we hand reared him from a baby and given how long they can live, they were aware he would be likely to outlive them, so made arrangements before they bought him. Those very responsible arrangements were to get an 11yo old me to agree to to keep him once they are no longer able to care for him hmm

My Dad's health is failing and he is painfully aware that his dogs are likely to outlive him or there will soon become a time when he is unable to give them the care that they need.

Last week he told me if he was forced (for health reasons) to keep only one it would be the Whippet, my sister would take back her own lurcher and he would expect me to at least walk the third dog for him, if not take it in myself, although he researching off road wheelchairs and scooters, these are expensive, but he is hoping to find a way to buy one, which would enable him to keep all of his dogs once he can no longer walk. I told them then I would take the lurcher, happily, that he is one of my favourites.

This has been playing on his mind and he decided if the worst happened it is his Whippet who most deserves and would most need a home with me. The parrot is a relatively new addition, he was rescued by a lady who felt unable to keep him because of his aggression, so she passed him onto my Dad. I've only "met" him a handful of times.

But I do agree making plans for your pets in the event of illness or death is important. It is a conversation I have also had. Whippy goes to my mum and Devil Dog to the lady we foster for.

vjg13 Wed 10-Oct-12 12:45:06

The Cinnamon Trust also has a rescue for dogs not suitable for rehoming.

We have two Cinnamon Trust long term foster dogs. I walked them for their owner and was in a position to offer them a home when she died. It is important that the correct forms are filled in for them, in our case they hadn't been and it was arranged after she died which was tricky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now