Talk

Advanced search

Could someone educate me about dogs, Islamic beliefs & playdates please?

(8 Posts)
gymmummy64 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:54:29

This might sound a really bizarre question, but I?m just looking for information, not trying to start a religious debate

We live in an area with quite a high muslim population. We are c of e/not much really. I took new ddog to meet DD2?s friends after school which went very well (he?s a lovely dog) but one of her friends said he couldn?t touch the dog and if he did he would have to wash his hands seven times. In fact he did then stroke the dog. A number of her classmates wouldn't approach come near.

This rang very vague bells with me, but wasn?t something I knew much about. I looked up Islam and dogs and am now better informed. I?ve also noticed that the reactions of many muslim kids I pass whilst walking can be much more extreme than that of other kids, including crossing the road to avoid me.

So, my question is not so much about the belief, but how it might affect a playdate. For example, would I have to mention the dog when inviting? would it prevent a muslim friend of DCs from visiting? Would I need to take particular measures to make our home environment acceptable?

I guess much of the answer may be that there will be range of levels of adherence as with many religious observances but I?d really welcome hearing other people?s experiences

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Oct-12 11:56:20

A Muslim friend told me that dogs are considered unclean, so maybe that's why you are getting that reaction.

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Oct-12 11:57:38

Sorry, but I meant to add that I don't know how that would affect visits etc.
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along soon.

ViviPru Tue 09-Oct-12 12:07:55

I think you should post this in chat, as you might get a broader spectrum of responses other than from more dog-centric people that would be more likely to frequent this board. (Not that dog people aren't knowledgeable, just that OP may get a wider response)

I also think it's an interesting topic and something we would all benefit from learning about, doggy people and non-doggy people alike.

Rhinestone Tue 09-Oct-12 12:11:04

I would ignore the religious aspect and just inform ALL parents of your DD's friends that you have a dog and is that ok / do you need to take account of allergies, dog phobias etc.

People choose their religion, people choose which tenets of their religion to follow, people choose to have a dog or not, some people choose to not allow their children around any dog etc etc.

Too many parameters to give special consideration to one group iyswim and your choice to have a dog is no less valid than anyone else's choices.

MarchelineWhatNot Tue 09-Oct-12 12:14:18

We have a dog and our DS has had quite a few playdates here with his Muslim friends (we live in a Muslim country). Most are fine. Actually, I know lots of Muslims that have dogs. Maybe it's a UK Muslim thing. I know that in Islam dogs are considered unclean, but it's hasn't caused any issues for us out here.

Sorry, that's not really very helpful.

fertilityFTW Tue 09-Oct-12 12:21:09

I read this article a while back by a Muslim lady that discusses the issue link
I had another scholarly article around as well, but I can't seem to find it!

defuse Tue 09-Oct-12 21:57:03

Will try to answer this more from a cultural perspective. Most muslims in UK do not have dogs in the home and together with the concept of dog being considered unclean, A lot of muslim kids are therefore more afraid of dogs. As for play dates, i would inform them that you do have a dog along with reassurance that the dog will be in a different room or part of the house (should you wish to accommodate). This may or may not help depending on how strongly the kids/family feel. Either way, they will appreciate the fact that you offered and made so much effort. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now