Talk

Advanced search

Advice re puppy playpens gratefully received!

(11 Posts)
doublemocha Mon 08-Oct-12 12:29:21

Hi, I would be grateful for some advice or recommendations if possible.

We are picking up our Hungarian Vizsla puppy in early November, he will be 8 weeks so I am busy purchasing (probably) many needless items, in addition to a few useful ones!

Our friends have donated a crate that their Springer no longer needs. I have negotiated with work remote access to my system so I can wfh for the main (I will need to pop into the office to drop off/pick up files etc) I only work about 10-12 hours per week but I am aware that I WILL need to concentrate for those hours. Evenings are busy here so in reality, my work won't get done if I leave it until then.

I had thought, in addition to the crate, to purchase a puppy playpen to go in the kitchen, with the crate in it. We have a large kitchen so have the space. I would put puppy pads in and toys and give lots of attention and exercise before I used the playpen. I can split my work down and do it at any point so it will be for short periods, puppy comes first for the initial months.

Do you think this is 1. a reasonable idea and 2. do you have any suggestion re appropriate playpens? I would rather not spend over say £100 for something that we will not used forever.

Thank you!

ps - please say if you think this a needless/stupid idea!

tabulahrasa Mon 08-Oct-12 12:41:36

Tbh, if you plan the work for when you know the puppy has been sufficiently fed and played with, I'd just stick something he can lie on near you in the kitchen have a couple of things to chew handy and it'll more than likely play for a bit, get bored and sleep anyway...mine does when I go and do things on the computer for a couple of hours.

Aquelven Mon 08-Oct-12 13:18:33

I have this one, bit more than £100 but worth it as it's really, really strong & you can add to it if you need bigger, which I've done.
They do a lighter one, cheaper, but more suitable for little pups.
Even when I'm not using it as a playpen & have dismantled it, I often use one of the panels as a puppy gate if I want to keep them out of somewhere.

www.croftonline.co.uk/products.asp?partno=FREEDOM

sununu Mon 08-Oct-12 13:37:28

we used our old Babydan playpen, which is about £50 or £60, but we have it opened out so it divides the kitchen in half, with a useful gate in the middle. but I work from home too and our pup slept the whole morning under my desk from the early days - bliss! she is still sleepy in the mornings, it's the evening that is another story..

Cuebill Mon 08-Oct-12 14:45:43

I wouldn't but it is your decision.

Definitely do not use puppy pads that will just make toilet training so hard.

You may have to get used to doing your work in chunks of time but small puppies sleep loads.

So take pup out for game, wee break etc and then pop into crate to sleep. You can then work. Immediately puppy wakes up back outside for a wee and short play and again back for a nap.

The crate should be an area to chill out in and the playpan will make it harder for the dog to learn to chill in the crate.

doublemocha Mon 08-Oct-12 14:48:52

Thanks for your replies.

That's the problem I suppose, I don't want to buy something that will end up not being used if he curls up near me and sleeps! Over £100 is fine, the money itself isn't the issue, more the actual usage!

Sununu - do you use the pen a lot? I had looked at Croftonline but hadn't seen that package, thanks. Do you put a crate in too?

Would a pen be useful for when you peg out the washing, do stuff upstairs etc? Gwen Bailey seems keen on them!!

doublemocha Mon 08-Oct-12 14:50:49

Thanks Cuebill, we cross posted. It's more food for thought indeed.

charlearose Tue 09-Oct-12 14:17:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sununu Tue 09-Oct-12 15:08:58

hi double mocha - I would say our playpen was a lifesaver, but as I mentioned we didn't use it as a little enclosure but as a kind of giant gate dividing our basement kitchen/playroom in half. could pop her on the other side of the fence when the kids had small toys all over the floor, or while we ate. we also have her crate that side. it is still up and she is seven months old - she has more of the run of the house now she is house trained but she is still a chewer and that is a safe place to leave her if we go out for a few hours, with some kongs and toys scattered and food and water available.

doublemocha Wed 10-Oct-12 15:21:38

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice, and kind offer Charlearose!

Still haven't fully decided what to do, I am leaning towards getting him into some form of 'routine' or a least accepting some downtime each day, sticking with just a crate and splitting the work into smaller stages, but you have all given me food for thought.

Probably being naive, in the way that you are before you have kids!

Donner Wed 10-Oct-12 20:38:31

We got one of these from ebay for 30 quid
www.croftonline.co.uk/main.asp?category=Showman+puppy+pens
4 panels, with one corner with hooks that opens. We put her crate in it and she still had space for bowls and toys and a space for stretching her legs.
Like this set up (p11)
www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/BEFORE_You_Get_Your_Puppy.pdf
She's 9 months now and still in it when we're out and overnight. I don't trust her not to chew stuff. She doesn't have a crate in it now, just a bed and she's very happy in her wee area away from the mental children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now