Talk

Advanced search

Duchess of Cornwall has two rescue dogs now

(15 Posts)
Toothiepeg Sat 06-Oct-12 23:26:26

[[http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211494/Rescue-pup-s-new-pal-Camilla-Bluebell-Jack-Russell-Duchess-s-latest-pet.html sorry] Daily Mail link but very cute story and lovely pic of Jack Russel puppy. Apparently Camilla got a Hack Russel from Battersea Dogs Home last year and has now taken up another puppy. What a fantastic example to set - obviously she could spend pretty much what she liked on pedigree puppies but has chosen to rehome dogs. Fantastic home for the dogs too - all that outside space in Scotland etc grin The article also mentions the older dog being good with the grandchildren which is also really nice to read as so many people worry about that.

Toothiepeg Sat 06-Oct-12 23:27:09

What the heck is a 'Hack Russel'? blush

And I can do links

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Sat 06-Oct-12 23:29:37

Oooh - a Hack Russell. Sounds like something she could take out with her when she is riding. grin

Agree, great life for the dogs.

Toothiepeg Sun 07-Oct-12 09:37:17

grin

bochead Sun 07-Oct-12 09:52:07

What's nice is that she's chosen to take a toy breed and give it a "proper" doggy lifestyle. Anything that helps educate people counter to the handbag trend is fantastic in my book.

Hopefully it'll encourage the would be TOWIE/paris hilton wannabe owners to realise little dogs need lots of fresh air and exercise too instead of being carried in a handbag dressed in silly clothes and ruined. Lots of badly bred wee dogs are ending up in rescue with severe behavioral problems as a result of the handbag trend right now.

absolutmum Sun 07-Oct-12 13:29:54

Do you think Battersea did a home check? grin

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 07-Oct-12 15:58:27

I honestly don't think you can describe a jack Russell as a toy breed! They are working dogs, terriers, are tenacious, lively, hard working and very intelligent. I should think any I have known (and that's a lot) wouldn't be seen dead in a handbag! My friend has 4 and they do have jackets, with asbo printed accross the back of them, but that's only because they are buggers for rolling in mud and fox shit whilst out walking

midori1999 Sun 07-Oct-12 18:24:04

Do Battersea do homechecks? They are a pound.

I wouldn't describe JR's as a toy breed either tbh. In fact, they aren't a breed at all, but a type, surely?

Camilla has gone up in my estimations and hopefully the press reporting it will encourage more people to look into rescue dogs.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Sun 07-Oct-12 18:27:48

Homescheck I think you'l find grin

Toothiepeg Sun 07-Oct-12 18:28:00

I would have described a JR as a working dog too. However working dogs seem very much misunderstood atm. I've seen plenty of posts on here from people surprised that Springers have huge energy and want to retrieve things hmm

I imagine Camilla was able to assure Battersea that she could afford vet fees and had a terroist dog proofed garden grin

MissBetseyTrotwood Sun 07-Oct-12 22:14:20

Go Camilla!

There's a famous soap actress who lives in the posh part of our borough. Our ex racing greyhounds met in the park the other day. She didn't want to talk to me but hey ho, she gets noticed with a gorgeous rescue dog all the time so she's OK in my book. smile

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Sun 07-Oct-12 22:28:22

Springers want to retrieve shock

So that's why he keeps bringing me geese!

Toothiepeg Mon 08-Oct-12 10:18:50

Errr yes - Springers are gun dogs. Yours is bred to spring (geddit grin) through the undergrowth and pick up pheasants and other game and bring it back to you then do the same again and again and again. That's why their tails may be docked - their beautiful fan of hair could get tangled in the undergrowth and why they have such boundless energy.

sooperdooper Mon 08-Oct-12 12:56:49

That's fab smile I think the problem with Jack Russells are that because they're small people think of them as a toy breed whereas actually they need a lot of exercise and stimulation or they can get nippy

Anyway, good for her, great example to other people thinking about getting a dog smile

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Oct-12 13:08:23

Well, a JRT might be seen in a handbag - head first - if he thought there was something edible inside.

Good for Camilla. Yes, JRTs aren't even a 'proper' breed - the pedigree version is the Parson Jack Russell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now