Talk

Advanced search

Name that sounds like Sarah...

(34 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Fri 05-Oct-12 14:11:51

We may be getting a rescue doggy called Sarah (if home check goes ok)
I don't like Sarah ( the name not the dog) but have been advised that we may wish to choose a name that sounds a bit like Sarah to avoid confusion

Any ideas?
All I can think of are ...umm none actually - merah, ferah, learah, yes that doesn't work at all. Please help!

ATourchOfInsanity Fri 05-Oct-12 14:14:12

Sara, Sandra, Zaza (de paw)?

Shazjack1 Fri 05-Oct-12 14:17:02

Sierra?

EssieW Fri 05-Oct-12 14:17:36

Zara

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 05-Oct-12 14:17:39

A dog has no emotional connection to a name. It's nothing more than a command to them. It means pay attention or come here.

A lot of trainers think a new name is best for a new home and new rules. Sarah may have previously been reinforced for ignoring her name. Start a fresh and call her whatever you want.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 05-Oct-12 14:18:02

Sierra. I prefer Sarah though.

Imsosorryalan Fri 05-Oct-12 14:21:14

Thanks, d0oin, she is only 3 - 6 months old. Do you think she would be ok with a new name and if so, how would we introduce it?

Imsosorryalan Fri 05-Oct-12 14:21:43

She really looks like a pippin!grin

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 05-Oct-12 14:28:44

Yes she'll be fine with a new name. Just say "Pippin" and feed her a treat if she looks towards you. She'll soon learn that "Pippin" means something good is coming and she should pay attention.

My dog was between 18 months and 2.6 years when he got his new name, we have no idea what he used to be called. He was found straying. He knows his name, unfortunately he also knows that sometimes when I shout him it's because I have spotted something interesting before he has <sigh>

Bubblemoon Fri 05-Oct-12 14:35:46

Our dog has several nicknames alongside her real name. She answers to or ingores all of them as she sees fit grin

Bubblemoon Fri 05-Oct-12 14:36:24

God - ignores not ingores.

FireOverBabylon Fri 05-Oct-12 14:41:40

In the Woman in Black, the dog is called Spider. It sounds more similar to Sarah than you'd imagine. Worth consideration?

Hullygully Fri 05-Oct-12 14:47:23

Hairier

Imsosorryalan Fri 05-Oct-12 14:51:40

Love hairiergrin
I did think of bearier

Ephiny Fri 05-Oct-12 15:12:27

Sadie?

She'll be fine with whatever name you choose though. Both my rescue dogs were renamed before they came to us, and it hasn't been a problem. Names don't mean the same to dogs as they do to us.

Floralnomad Fri 05-Oct-12 15:13:52

Definitely just change the name. When you get her home just starting calling her whatever you decide on . If you want to reinforce the name call her it then give a treat / piece of food several times in a row , she will soon get it . We changed our rescues name ( he had only had the other name for a week) and as he was abandoned we have no idea what his original name was, so he had 3 names in 16 weeks . Congrats on your new dog !

paddythepooch Fri 05-Oct-12 15:36:23

Yes, do change name - as dooin says it's just a way of getting their attention. We changed our rescue's and he knew the new one within days. Plus it was just lovely coming up with a new name together as a family.
enjoy the pooch

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Fri 05-Oct-12 16:17:17

My greyhound used to be called Brett/Bert/Bertie. I changed it to Sprocket grin he doesn't even glance up if you call any of his old names mind you, he doesn't glance up if you call his new name hmm

LadyTurmoil Fri 05-Oct-12 16:49:40

Sienna

ruledbyheart Fri 05-Oct-12 17:31:00

I agree a dog will learn a new name easily, think how many strays get renamed after being found as they have no idea on the dogs details.

Cuebill Fri 05-Oct-12 18:29:26

A new name would be preferable to one that sounds like Sarah. It will be less confusing to the dog.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Fri 05-Oct-12 18:45:30

Sacha.

MagratGarlik Fri 05-Oct-12 18:50:48

Our lurcher was (at least) 6 years old when she came to us. We gave her a new name as we didn't know her previous name (came in to rescue from an Irish pound). She has learned her name just fine.

YouMayLogOut Fri 05-Oct-12 18:55:51

I'm thinking the "air" vowel at the beginning will be what the dog notices rather than the letter S. Mary would do fine.

However I think a dog would learn a new name easily. They can understand quite a few words and will soon learn one more if they find it gets them food/a pat to answer to it!

Go for Pippin!

FelixDaSouza Fri 05-Oct-12 18:57:10

Maida? I knew someone called that at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now