Talk

Advanced search

Rehoming advice needed

(6 Posts)
EmmalinaC Fri 05-Oct-12 12:06:44

A couple of weeks ago, friends of our made the painful decision that they should rehome their 3 year-old lab. They're in a tiny one-bed flat, with a small garden but since the birth of their first DC they have realised they can't afford a bigger property with garden in London and have admitted the dog is probably not getting the attention she needs.

I found them the perfect new owners - friends who dog sit my own dog - a child-free couple in their forties, who live in the country, are financially secure enough to not have to work and who have the time and inclination to give the dog a fantastic life. It couldn't be a more perfect arrangement.

In the course of my match-making I asked the owners loads of questions and the answers made me really sad... She was only walked twice a week before their DC was born (so is hardly ever walked now), she is left alone all the working day and in the pictures they sent me of her she looked utterly miserable. It convinced me they are absolutely right to give her up.

The problem is, now they are stalling for sentimental reasons and want to wait a few weeks - a few weeks where their dog is left all day in a tiny garden with no exercise. I have told them gently I think this is unfair but I'm not sure if I can do more.

Could any more experienced owners give me some advice? I'm not sure it counts as cruelty but it's not ideal.

Would it be a good idea for me to offer to 'foster' her for a few weeks so
the transition is easier (for them) or would it confuse the dog more?

Help! I am having sleepless nights.

EmmalinaC Fri 05-Oct-12 12:07:29

Sorry - typed all that on iPhone so apologies if grammar/spelling is sub-standard grin

Bubblemoon Fri 05-Oct-12 14:57:32

Do your friends live near enough for you to be able to take their lab out when you walk your own dog EmmalinaC? Or could they hire a dog walker? That might help the poor dog in the short term, but it also might make them think it's more feasible for them to keep her so it's tricky.

Agree that even if it's not cruelty most of us dog lovers would think that it absolutely isn't fair to a young dog who would love and benefit on so many levels from company and a regular romp in the park.

Have you considered having a gentle, but frank conversation with the current owners. If they're true friends it shouldn't harm your friendship and they'll value your advice. Show them your MN post on the subject - it's perfect and shows just how much you care.

Bubblemoon Fri 05-Oct-12 15:04:04

I've just reread your post OP and I'd missed this bit left all day in a tiny garden with no exercise Left outside for a full working day and the commuting time - that must be well over 8 hours, in all weathers. I would appeal to their better natures just once. Then I'd call the RSPCA.

Toughasoldboots Fri 05-Oct-12 15:06:25

Could you say that you have heard that RSPCA prosecute for things like this and you are concerned for them as well as the dog? <sneaky>

Cuebill Fri 05-Oct-12 18:28:10

It is not recommended to privately re-home any dog. Re-home through a no kill dog rescue or breed rescue. That way the dog will be guaranteed a home for life regardless of what happens to the owners circumstances.

Don't call the RSPCA they will not do anything at all if the dog has water and food. - The RSPCA will definitely not prosecute.

If you are certain that the dog needs to be rehomed you can only discuss this honestly with your friends. However there is no legal way you can get them to give up the dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now