Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how many tinned sardines?

(15 Posts)
colditz Thu 04-Oct-12 20:27:18

I have a 6 kilo Jack Russel and sometimes I give her sardines for tea. Would you mix with her normal meal or not, and how many tins should I give her? There's 120 grams in a tin, but they are very rich.

Nigglenaggle Thu 04-Oct-12 20:40:54

None! Jesus! Feed her dog food she's not a seal.

Sardines are high in calories. She may be 6kg now, but when she is 12-13kg and used to having them, it wont seem like such a good idea.

smellsabit Thu 04-Oct-12 20:49:30

same answer for skinny fussy lurcher?

colditz Thu 04-Oct-12 20:51:04

What in gods name makes you think I'm neglectful enough to allow my dog to gain 110% of her body weight? Sardines are generally held to be a nice treat for dogs, and as for dog food, well, if you'd ever SEEN what goes into dog food, you wouldn't have it in the house.

Nigglenaggle Thu 04-Oct-12 21:03:32

Im sorry, youre right, sardines are much better.

colditz Thu 04-Oct-12 21:34:02

I know, all I wanted was a guide to how many to feed her so she's not sick.

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 04-Oct-12 22:37:10

My JRT/Fox Terrier X gets one tin of sardines in tomato sauce mixed with half a cup of rice, twice a week, although he shares that amount with my other small breed, so you'd need half a tin and quarter of a cup of rice - if like me you feed twice a day? If you only feed once a day, give the whole amount.

My lurcher gets a whole tin + half a cup of rice. It keeps their coats lovely and shiny and is great for their skin.

ditavonteesed Fri 05-Oct-12 08:03:53

I give my border terrier adn my cocker spaniel one tin each, I often break an egg over the top as well.

ditavonteesed Fri 05-Oct-12 08:05:01

niggle what utterly random abuse.

Grockle Fri 05-Oct-12 20:00:25

My Border Collie cross often has a tin of sardines. If she's still hungry, she has a handful of mixer or rice. Sardines are good for dogs.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Fri 05-Oct-12 20:28:59

My lab gets a raw egg and a tin of sardines once a week too smile

feesh Fri 05-Oct-12 21:13:24

My godknowswhatmix (collie sized) gets a whole big tin with an egg cracked on top once a week too smile

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Sat 06-Oct-12 09:26:28

My greyhound gets fed less kibble than normal with a whole tin mixed in. He has around 500g of kibble a day, so 250g per meal, if he's having sardines I give about 150g kibble mixed with the fish. I appreciate that my dog is madsive compared to a JR so this might not work for you.

I'd try what D0oin said.

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Sat 06-Oct-12 09:26:40

*massive

wildfig Sat 06-Oct-12 10:54:43

My 30kg bassets get half a tin of sardines or pilchards in tomato sauce over their kibble twice a week - helps keep their coats nice and glossy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now