Talk

Advanced search

The pup is now 12 months old and has decided he doesn't need to come back when called but prefers

(2 Posts)
SheilaWheeler Wed 03-Oct-12 21:42:32

to run away laughing at me.

I had to go away for 2 weeks and leave the demon-in-dog-fur with my husband, eldest son and several friends and neighbours who formed a walking rota.

I have just got back from my first walk with him in 2 weeks and pup danced away when I called him, sneered when I tempted him with the ball, evaded a passing dog walker who tried to help, feigned indifference when I walked off without him and cheered with delight when his best dog-friend joined him in the field.

I finally got him back after they had played together while I caught up on the gossip with his friend's owner.

I think he needs some lessons in reinforcing recall - any ideas for a treat-refusing springer?

Mutteroo Wed 03-Oct-12 23:03:10

My dog started to do the same at about the same age. If its windy he still finds leaves irresistible & can be problematic. We've resolved the problem 90% of the time now & if he runs off we put him straight back on the lead & make him sit still for 5 minutes. He hates it!

Another option is does your dog have a favoured toy? We take 2 toys on walks so if 1 is thrown for him, we always have the other as temptation.

If all else fails get a long lead. Joking aside, I know it's not easy & once back to his normal routine with his normal people, things may settle quite quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now